TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Tivo DVR problems

by Johnboy47 / December 1, 2009 2:11 AM PST

I am in the process of having my Tivo HD XL DVR replaced for the second time. While Tivo naturally does not admit problems with it's products, it seems this line of DVR's has some.
A product in this price line should be free of kinks. Self restarting and blinking power lights caused the demise of my two units.
I would be interested in feedback from other Tivo subscribers with similar problems.
While Tivo's warranty allows limited "free" replacement they do not consider the consumer's additional problems or expense.
For "free" replacement of the DVD you must put up a refundable credit card deposit before they ship the new unit. This means that between their shipping of the new unit and their receipt of the old unit, at your expense, you tie up about $600 for at least 10 days. The shipping cost for the return is about $25.00. Upon receipt of the DVR you have to call your cable company to re-install the cable card or cards, which further causes delays in the use of the product.
Considering the size and continued growth of Tivo, I believe it is time for them to set up regional service centers to better serve the needs of their customers. Presently their products are shipped to and from Ft. Worth, Texas.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tivo DVR problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tivo DVR problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Time to give up Tivo?
by Pepe7 / December 1, 2009 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: Tivo DVR problems

I guess that would be one option for you. It stinks that you have had to do this twice though ;(.

Truth be told- give the rampant amount of fraud (esp. online with returns/exchanges/ebay transactions/etc.), you can quickly see why they need to hedge against the value of such an expensive device that can be resold in ten minutes at a shopping mall parking lot anywhere in the U.S. They save money by using a single processing center to do all this stuff, FWIW.

{Playing the devil's advocate} Is it really that big of a deal to have a temporary charge against your credit card? [only relevant if you keep your cards maxed out] Is it really that big of an issue to not have a DVR for two weeks? [how did we all survive before the DVR was invented? ;)] I agree with you though that having to deal with the cable company again is sort of the most ridiculous part. Why can't you self install the cable cards and activate somehow remotely (over the phone) like you do with the (Comcast/etc.) issued DVRs(?)

-Pedro

Collapse -
Anything with
by givemeaname / December 1, 2009 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: Tivo DVR problems

Moving parts, in this case HDD, do not last forever, just like a HDD in a computer they have life spands of about 2-5 years depending on brand, useage and quilty of the HDD installed.

Something that will help is a UPS, keeps it from crashing when the power goes out or in a brownout, also protects it from power spikes via voltage regulator & surges. APC, Belkin & Cyberpower make them, it will run you $80-200 depending on the # watts you pick. Also good to have them hooked up for TV's and computers.

Best to rent the DVR's if you can, I have been through about 6 dishnetwork DVR's over 7ish years, cost zero $ since they are rented.

Collapse -
Agree 110%
by Pepe7 / December 1, 2009 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: Anything with

FWIW, we've gone through four or five Comcast Motorola DVRs. (And that's with the APC- LOL.) For one room I even downgraded to a little advertised standard def DVR (brand=Vegas?) since that room lacks an HDTV. Saves $6/month vs the HD version.

Collapse -
Tivo problems
by Johnboy47 / December 1, 2009 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: Anything with

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that the dvr's were each about 4 weeks old when problems started.I am well aware of the all the protective devices available and use them.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!