Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Tired of the talking point: Americans want higher mileage

by Evie / April 27, 2006 12:32 AM PDT

...vehicles, they just need leadership. This is idiocy! It implies that Americans can't FIND such vehicles when there are plenty to choose from. Do these politicians think they are so smart and the people such idiots that we need to wait for them to tell us to buy the higher mileage vehicles we supposedly already want?!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tired of the talking point: Americans want higher mileage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tired of the talking point: Americans want higher mileage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
depends on who's "talking"
by Dick White / April 27, 2006 12:58 AM PDT

If Madison Avenue is doing the talking (and that's who it seems most American consumers are listening to...) then we can have our cake and eat it too. We can impress our neighbors with our bigger badder behemoth and not have any economic consequences (because the only thing the average schmuck cares about is the monthly payment - with a lower monthly lease payment I CAN afford the monthly gas bill...).

If the campaign-contributing automakers are doing the talking (and that's who the politicians are listening to, and that's who is paying Madison Avenue (see above) to say what they are saying ...) then preserving the more-profitable bigger badder behemoths is what we should be doing.

If sensible people who examine their actual needs and make rational decisions are doing the talking, well they are all nerds, nobody is listening to them - or - they are trapped in the 2nd year of an upside down 5 year lease or note with payments that barely worked when gas was $2 but now is a killer at $3, and they have no exit.

dw

Collapse -
The last person ''talking'' ......
by Evie / April 27, 2006 8:44 PM PDT

... was **** Durbin among the many politicians that think the President should ''do something'' about this. I wish people would smarten up and realize that it is exactly because of everything they plan to ''do'' that we are where we are. Weren't we hearing that the auto makers were having problems last year selling the lower mileage vehicles? Prius' were impossible to find because of high demand? Folks apparently have short memories or are not as concerned about the price of gas as we are led to believe with all of this hysteria.

If I drive 15k miles in a year, that's 750 gallons at 20 mpg, 500 gallons at 30 mpg, 375 gallons at 40 mpg. Even at $3/gallon, that's about a grand in a year. Not small potatoes, but about the cost of a Starbucks a day.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
It's easy for them to demogogue...
by EdH / April 27, 2006 8:55 PM PDT

Remember, what Democrats crave is POWER at any cost. So Schumer, Pelosi, Reid, Durbin, et al can lie and lie about this with barely any challenge. It's the perfect "issue" for them because they KNOW there is nothing anyone can do in the short term (i.e. before the election) except cut the taxes, which they will block.

If the GOP had a spine or a brain they would be in there slashing those taxes NOW. It kills me that they don't see this.

Collapse -
What's with that rebate?! ...
by Evie / April 27, 2006 9:05 PM PDT

... why not just cut the tax so people see the reduction at the pump?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
That's right, the Republicans have never craved power
by Ziks511 / April 28, 2006 11:53 AM PDT

In what fantasyland do you live? I may not be wildly enthusiastic about the Dems but the Repubs make the flesh crawl. Tom Delay, Newt Gingrich, the Veep, the Pres. None of them ever craved public office, or thought God wanted them to be President, or campaigned for it. No sir. The GOP is pristine and unsullied by ambition. Or, judging by this post, insight or intelligence.

By the way, how did Bush win the 2000 election in Florida? Every news service in the world saw it as a scam.

If you don't like taxes, just become the Vice President, he only paid 5% according to his own figures.

Rob

Collapse -
Excuse me Rob
by Evie / April 28, 2006 9:52 PM PDT

but you got your facts on wrong yet AGAIN. Every news service concede that Bush won fair and square. The only way Gore won would have been by counting ballots that are NEVER counted.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wow, how much BS can you cram into one post?
by EdH / April 28, 2006 9:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
I guess, in the midst of your historical, political, and
by Kiddpeat / April 29, 2006 12:46 AM PDT

economic research projects, you missed the follow up to the Florida story. The news organizations that actually investigated the Florida vote found that President Bush won. Boy! Was that a big news story or what? How did he win?

Ummmmmmmm, he got the most votes even after the Democrat efforts to steal votes. The Dems were big time disappointed. Vote stealing is a favorite tactic. Big Al was counting on that.

Collapse -
BUT,
by duckman / April 27, 2006 1:13 AM PDT

Bush destroyed the CAFE standards

Collapse -
Maybe what it means is....
by Josh K / April 27, 2006 2:45 AM PDT

....that people want cars that are just as big as the ones they have now but get better gas mileage (or run on less expensive alternative fuels).

I know that mileage is way better than it used to be, largely due to the use of lighter-weight parts, but it's always good to strive for further improvements.

As Derek Jeter says in a new Ford commercial "Good enough isn't good enough."

Collapse -
So, pass a law; make a speech...
by EdH / April 27, 2006 12:29 PM PDT

that will do the trick.

I am pretty sure that Detroit is trying to increase gas mileage in their cars, along with a million other things that people want too. I don't see where "leadership" or politicians come into it.

Collapse -
But,
by duckman / April 27, 2006 9:51 PM PDT

Americans are too stupid to know what's best for them

Collapse -
Please show me where....
by Josh K / April 27, 2006 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: But,

....I made any reference to government in my post.

Collapse -
Evie's post, which you responded to...
by EdH / April 27, 2006 11:25 PM PDT

was about politicians making speeches, etc.

Collapse -
So?
by Josh K / April 28, 2006 12:00 AM PDT

Again, show me where I made any reference to government in my post.

Collapse -
Never mind...
by EdH / April 28, 2006 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: So?

didn't realize your post was supposed to be a nonsequitur.

Collapse -
Bush made the speech yesterday, doubtless hoping
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 27, 2006 11:25 PM PDT

Americans' memories are so short they will forget that his very first action as President was an XO suspending the planned increase in required fuel efficiency, which if allowed to stand would already be saving more oil (per day) than drilling the Arctic Wildlife Refuge would generate. Now he calls on Congress to pass a law increasing the CAFE standards, with a four-year lead-time. What a hypocrite!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Drop this nonsense please...
by EdH / April 27, 2006 11:29 PM PDT

in case you haven't noticed, prices aree rising WORLDWIDE. Okay? Nothing whatever to do with CAFE except that raising CAFE standards would hurt US business and consumers.

Collapse -
Read up on how Brazil handled the same problem, EdH...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 28, 2006 1:57 PM PDT

Most of their vehichles now run on 100% ethanol, made from sugar cane.

And prices actually aren't increasing as fast elsewhere, as they're doing what we would have done if we'd had higher gas taxes to start with (as many on the left suggested) -- they're now decreasing the tax rates to ease the total effect of the rising oil prices on their economies. Meanwhile, they're much less dependent (per capita) on petroleum products because the higher prices forced conservation, their infrastructure isn't crumbling due to long-delayed maintenance (that's part of what the taxes were used for), and their overall social services are better for the same reason. Better CAFE standards could have at least accomplished some of the conservation for us, but even that approach didn't line the oil companies' pockets enough for Bush/Cheney -- and we're now all paying for it.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Brazil is not the US or is it the world...
by EdH / April 28, 2006 9:48 PM PDT

bully for them, but they are a marginal case. We don't have that much sugar cane and the ethanol indiustry here is already stretched.

My point remains.

Collapse -
So ...
by Evie / April 28, 2006 9:54 PM PDT

... if European countries, for example, had the "right idea" all along, how come they didn't have the petroleum alternative years ago?

I see you've tamed your CAFE stance. LOL! It's a start.

Collapse -
Restating my point....
by EdH / April 28, 2006 10:02 PM PDT
In reply to: So ...

If thehre was an easy and obvious solution, everybody would be doing it. What "everybody" is doing is using gasoline powered internal combustion engines.

Ethanol might be part of A solution, but it is not THE solution.

Collapse -
'Scientist' demonstrates once again how to ignore reality.
by Kiddpeat / April 29, 2006 12:52 AM PDT

If higher cafe standards had been implemented by Congress under President Bush, the contribution to our current fuel usage would be zero. It seems that research and development in the real world actually takes a lot of time. Ditto for moving the results into manufactured products. They can't make it up as they go as is usually done in biology in academia.

Collapse -
Excuse me Dave ...
by Evie / April 28, 2006 1:52 AM PDT

... but this is now the third time you've stated this falsehood.

Please show the PROOF from here or quit perpetuating a lie!

Not only would CAFE have little or no effect on gas prices, he didn't even do what you claim! CAFE would save more than ANWR would generate? What world do you live in?

BTW, in '05 the Bush Administration proposed raising CAFE standards for light trucks. I think those were implemented this year.

Collapse -
What do you think the chances are....
by EdH / April 28, 2006 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Excuse me Dave ...

that you'll get an answer, much less a rational one?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Let me dig out my textbook on irrational numbers.
by Kiddpeat / April 28, 2006 6:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Another source for you Dave
by Evie / April 28, 2006 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Excuse me Dave ...
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hellllloooooooooo? Dave???
by Evie / April 29, 2006 12:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
No, just a President who didn't waste his time
by Kiddpeat / April 28, 2006 6:45 AM PDT

on meaningless gestures. It's the Democrats who have contributed to tight oil supplies, not the President or his Republican colleagues.

Collapse -
2006 Top 10 cars with good gas mileage
by John Robie / April 27, 2006 3:47 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.