Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Tired of Port Scanning

by gelpena / April 17, 2004 3:22 AM PDT

Hello guys...I have Sygate personal Firewall and it is always detecting others scanning my ports. Recently I suspect my machine had been hijacked because of unsual activity and behaviour. Should I upgrade to a better firewall or maybe tweak my settings.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Gelson.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tired of Port Scanning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tired of Port Scanning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Tired of Port Scanning
by chuckieu / April 17, 2004 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Tired of Port Scanning

As long as Sygate is up to date, it is one of the best free firewalls, just a little more complicated than Zonealarm to use. Since you are on the Broadband forum,
I'm assuming an "always on" connection. My Sygate stays
red from the pings. But a firewall of any kind only restricts access to those you allow in. It does not have
anything to do with viruses, adware, spyware or parasites
in things(downloads, email, EMAIL ATTACHMENTS,etc) that came in legitimately. That's why you have up to date virus programs and spyware/adware programs also. There are very good FREE ones out there. Chuck

Collapse -
by Xloggie / April 18, 2004 3:59 PM PDT

1st upgrade to Sygate Per PRO, I would also go to AnalogX.com and download their free Portblocker. It works externally to stealth and close off your ports. After you have done that I would go to the Sygate home page and do their PC Security Scans. I would also go to:http://www.symantec.com/freesecuritycheck/
and do the same. It can't hurt to get a 2nd opinion on where your PC is vunerable. If you surf the web you also need Adaware 6 and Spybot to get rid of spyware, Happy and Safe Surfing. If you have any more questions contact me at Xloggie@bellsouth.net
Joe B. US Army, Ret.
Louisville, KY

Collapse -
by WiBrid / April 23, 2004 4:00 AM PDT

My suggestion is to pick up a SOHO hardware firewall. They're not that expensive generally have stealth capability, and will add additional security to your network.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Tired of Port Scanning
by chuckieu / April 23, 2004 5:45 AM PDT

While the hardware firewall is good advice, the the other is not. Unless you are running a company from this computer, there is no need to pay for the excellent Pro version. As I said before, I use Spygate Personal Firewall and have for over a year. It's not my first firewall. Using this, my system is as secure as any computer is ever going to be and the ports are "stealthed". As long as you are on the internet, especially with Broadband, you ARE going to to be pinged. You do realize YOU are pinging other computers, don't you? "Stealthed" means the port is not just "closed", but not visible to most users trying to find you. Hope this helps. chuck

Collapse -
Re: Tired of Port Scanning
by ereedks / June 11, 2004 1:22 AM PDT

You can't "stop" scans from being done because you can't stop others from attempting to access other computers. When using broadband of any type, though, I would highly recommend you use a hardware firewall rather than software. My firewall is built into my router. It stops scans and probe attempts BEFORE it reaches my computer. With software, well, think of where the software is located. INSIDE your computer. By the time it stops anything, the probe/scan/attack/whatever has already reached your computer. (I do have A+, N+, and MCSE certifications in case you are wondering).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?