Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Tips on investing wisely.

by Rosalie / April 6, 2004 9:37 AM PDT

If you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.00.

With Enron, you would have $16.50 left of the original $1,000.00. With WorldCom, you would have less than $5.00 left.

But, if you had purchased $1,000.00 worth of Beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling price, you would have $214.00. Based on the above, current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.

It's called the 401-Keg Plan

Is this a great country or what?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tips on investing wisely.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tips on investing wisely.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Hic, Hic, wheres the recycly bin?:)nt
by Rolway / April 6, 2004 10:17 AM PDT

Collapse -
Re:Tips on investing wisely.
by John Robie / April 6, 2004 10:22 AM PDT

Gotta tell the wife about this savings I'm giving her in my investment 'portfolow'.
(she gets all the can recycle loot for her 'mad' money)

Collapse -
Get rich quick scheme?
by Mosonnow / April 6, 2004 10:23 AM PDT

Dear Rosalie,

According to my reckoning, $214 results from drinking about 800 cans of beer in a year, or about 2 cans per day. Therefore, all I have to do is drink about 10,240 cans per day and I've made my first $million! Yes! Thanks for the tip.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
I'll help you! Wanna start now? ;-) -NT
by Rosalie / April 6, 2004 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Get rich quick scheme?

Collapse -
Count me in, too!!! -NT
by MarciaB / April 6, 2004 10:53 AM PDT

Collapse -
(NT) Now? Way ahead of you - it's just that now I know what to do with the empties. Regards, Mo
by Mosonnow / April 6, 2004 10:56 AM PDT

Collapse -
Re:Thats about 7 cans a minute Gals. Mo needs more help ;-) -NT
by Rolway / April 6, 2004 10:58 AM PDT

Collapse -
I once determined, after extensive analysis, that, if I bought a video machine, Ild
by Kiddpeat / April 6, 2004 1:23 PM PDT

get rich! I could save all the quarters I was pumping into those blasted machines. I even had a callous from the joystick.

Collapse -
Re:I once determined, after extensive analysis, that, if I bought a video machine, Ild

Hi, KP.

Yeah, but then you had to buy all those cartridges, didn't you? Wink BTW, I was a whiz at "Missile Command," which is probably one reason I prefer a trakball...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:Re:I once determined, after extensive analysis, that, if I bought a video machine, Ild

I haven't played videos since Galaga, Qix, and Zaxxon, sometime in the early 80's.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:I once determined, after extensive analysis, that, if I bought a video machine, Ild

Never played the Video machines James. Good at the pinball machines though.

George

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:I once determined, after extensive analysis, that, if I bought a video machine, Ild

I was in that change over period. First video other than that boring tennis game which I remember playing was Asteroids. Now I have an updated version of it on my computer. There were so many pinball machines before that about all I remember of them is the Gottlieb name on most of them. Some of those pinballs were setup to be ripoffs, tilt too easy and the board slant too steep, flipper slow to respond. Their purpose was to eat as many quarters as quickly as they could.

Collapse -
Beer in CANS? ? ! ! ! EWWWWWW! ! ! ! ! ;-)
by Dan McC / April 7, 2004 12:29 AM PDT

:-D

Collapse -
(NT) Better than no beer at all?
by Roger NC / April 26, 2004 8:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Oh, Great! Now I'm gonna have nightmares! -nt
by Dan McC / April 27, 2004 1:57 AM PDT

Collapse -
;) I thought that was why ....
by Mosonnow / April 27, 2004 4:31 AM PDT

they invented bedside tables - i.e. for the emergency can or two. And I'll bet you any money that tables and beer were invented before alarm clocks...

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
But cans came much later
by Dan McC / April 27, 2004 5:08 AM PDT

After the beginning of the end.

Wink

Dan

Collapse -
(NT)Yeah, but you only need the can when the intravenous drip runs out.... Regards Mo
by Mosonnow / April 27, 2004 5:29 AM PDT

Collapse -
You gotta hook it up to a larger keg. -nt

Collapse -
(NT) But then I won't be able to see the TV - re-run of The Lost Weekend - Priorities, Priorities... Regards Mo
by Mosonnow / April 27, 2004 5:45 AM PDT

Collapse -
Easy. Plasma TV installed on the ceiling above the bed. -nt

Collapse -
But then, I would have to ....
by Mosonnow / April 27, 2004 7:56 AM PDT

take the mirror down, fill the holes with Polyfilla, and repaint, then reinforce to accept the weight-loading of the mild-steel arm for the plasma TV (plus get a meeting with my bank manager about the

Collapse -
Mirror? ! ! !
by Dan McC / April 27, 2004 11:52 PM PDT

Ummm...I'm guessing it's a leather thinking cap with metal spikes? Shocked

Dan

Collapse -
Yeah well Ilike to see the damage ....
by Mosonnow / April 28, 2004 8:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Mirror? ! ! !

that gravity has done to me over the years. Yes, I'm as boring as that. Actually, I'm as thin as a stick, so it's a bit of a waste of time really. Must think of a better use for the mirror Wink

Leather cap and metal spikes? - Absolutely - don't you keep one for when you tell the kids to clear up their rooms? I keep my cap next to my book about "Negotiating with children", which I can throw at them in an emergency. Problem is they always catch it and throw it back ... Too darn smart if you ask me.

Oh boy, I'm posting to a thread about luxury for adults (i.e. beer, or champers as is your wont). How soon it fades back to reality... What a blow. Think I'll go back to the painting on the wall of wide open spaces and faraway places - beaches, sunsets etc. Blow the plasma TV, think I'll get one of those back-projection things that apparently does this, and quick before my drip runs out.

LOL and regards
Mo

Collapse -
Ohh...kids.
by Dan McC / April 29, 2004 12:42 AM PDT

I didn't know. I'm sorry.

Use the larger guage needle for your drip. Wink

Dan

Collapse -
You gave me an idea...
by J. Vega / April 29, 2004 1:55 AM PDT

You gave me an idea for fun, but first let me relate my room cleaning solution that I used with my son. While he was at school I went into his room and put everything on the floor into big trash bags, leaving them open and in the middle of the room. When He got back from school, hit his room and came back downstairs I said, "Go outside and play, I'm not finished yet and I want to get it all done in time for the trash pickup.". That ended the problem.
Now, moving along to my new idea for fun that something you said gave me. I recently broke down and finally bought another printer (an Epson C84). I noticed some printer paper that is "peel and stick", which let's you print your own stickers. Here it comes. Scan the label on a Jack Daniel's bottle, make a sticker out of it, and put it on a drip bag the next time that I'm in the hospital. Now that ought to get a rise out of the nurses. Oh, BTW in case anybody remembers my idea for similar fun long ago with a trip to the operating room, I got got my hands on an "Intel inside" sticker.

Collapse -
Re:But cans came much later
by Rolway / April 27, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

As I tip the can Up to my lips,
down the hatch goes my schlitz,
it may chuck Up as mash,
but more likely blow out my Grin

Author unknown

Collapse -
Re:Tips on investing wisely.
by Mary Kay / April 7, 2004 1:17 AM PDT

And if you invest it all back into beer.... well talk about making money easily.....

Collapse -
(NT) LOL Regards Mo
by Mosonnow / April 7, 2004 5:33 AM PDT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.