Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Tips for Zune owners and future owners

I just received my Zune two days ago and I must say love it so much. In fact I think it is so much better than the Ipod, but the things that is killing the Zune is the marketplace content, no video or podcast at launch, lack of or no support for playsforshure, and you cannot use it as a hard drive device.

Here are my tips for Zune owners and future owners.

1. Before installing the Zune software make sure that your Internet security is disabled and other running programs are turned off so it does not affect the Zune installation. Also be patient because the installation of the software depends on your Internet connection and speed of your computer. Installation takes at least 10 minutes and it is a breeze if you have a hotmail email account and Xbox live account.

2. If your plugging in the USB adaptor and own a laptop, then plug it in the USB port on the side of your laptop facing the fan or the one closest to it that fits. Do not know the best place to plug in USB on a desktop computer because I have not installed it in one.

3. Checkout the Zune marketplace and use the 14 day Zune free trail before you even think about using the Zune pass subscription. It allows you to listen to all the music in the marketplace so you can transfer albums and tracks to your Zune device for free, but the catch is that you cannot keep all your tracks and albums transferred unless you purchase the Zune pass subscription before the Zune 14 day Zune pass expires. The Zune marketplace is more visually appealing compared to itunes and is nice to look at especially if you spend a lot of time on the computer.

4. Play with your Zune. It is so easy to use and you do not have to be a genius to figure how to control the device. The old saying is that you cannot knock it until you have tried it. The album art, pictures, and video look amazing on the big screen. I do not know how to put movies on the device yet because I have not messed with that yet. Also checkout the preloaded stuff your your Zune because it is cool and is not your typical cheesy stuff preloaded on some MP3 players. Microsoft actually put some stuff that you may actually want to look at, listen to, and watch.

5. Do not be discouraged by the negative reviews because most of the people who post them are Apple fanboys and Microsoft Haters. Once you pick up the device and play with it you will realise it is not as bad as people are saying. In fact it feels better in the hands than an Ipod and is harder to scratch. The Zune is a better made product that is more likely to last compared to an Ipod. The Zune has better features and you get more for you money. I still cannot believe I bought from www.buy.com for the cheapest price in the country, which is $219 with no tax and free shipping. Once you play with the Zune you will realise that the quality is worth more than $250. In fact after playing with my Zune I would be willing to pay the full retail price for the features and quality. Also do not be disappointed because this product will only get better with firmware updates and future announcements by Microsoft.

6. Microsoft is thinking about the future of digital music and music period and the Zune is it in my opinion. The album that shows up on the Zune pays respect to the music artist and true music fans who have been buying music albums or CD for years. The Zune gives you chance to buy music the new way without sacrificing the album art. Everybody who says the album art on the Zune is pixeled and not good quality should just wait until the next generation of Zune's come out because with bigger hard-drive capacity the album art will and should look so much better to the point you won't be able to tell the difference much. The music companies, artists, and true music fans should embrace the Zune. Also did I mention that you can find legendary music from bands like the Beatles, which you cannot find in Itunes.

Zune fans, Zune owners, and future Zune owners post your comments and tips that may help Zune owners like myself.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tips for Zune owners and future owners
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tips for Zune owners and future owners
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!