Phones forum

General discussion

Tips for Shopping for a Cell Phone

by PhoneDepot / March 18, 2005 2:53 AM PST

Read these posts I have read alot of people complaining about poor customer experiances, and issues with who is selling them thier phone.

I have been in this feild off and on for about 7 years now, and seen every kind of depravity, from telling a blind man he was signing a $20 a month contract and receiving a $70 a month contract and it goes on from there.

There is no gauranteed protection, but there are some steps that you can take to sheild yourself a bit. I hope some other dealers step up and help with this a bit, but here goes.

Try dealing with someone local - It makes life a little ewasier to eb able to see someone and talk to them face to face, you might have an indication on if this person is out for your interests or thier own. If there is a problem you have someone to go to and try to get resolve.

Sounds to good to be true - It is! Nothing in life is free and noone will ever pay you to take a $400 item in high demand, it doesnt work that way, it never will.

Is the place organized - Cell phone dealers are privy to some very personal information. This is not the stuff you want getting misplaced. If the place is disorganized, if there is personal information laying around, use your better judgement, because your information may be with the rest of information easily accessible to complete strangers.

Look at thier accessory stock - Alot of companies offer "in store rebates" personally these are an indicator to me not to go there, but some people will go for the instore rebate, if you go to a store for an instore rebate and the shelves and displays are empty, thats a good indication that the store may not be there to give you your rebate in 6 months or so. Be perceptive of your surrounding, and use your judgement.

Do they work on commission - If they do then they will benefit from giving what you dont need. In this case be cautious. Commisions arent evil, but if employees are on commission that means that you should look out for yourself. I have worked for many cell phone stores, and the ones that didnt work on commission were the ones that had the track record for honesty and customer interest. They make the same weather you are happy or not, and in the case that you are not happy, you will come back so it is easier for them to make sure you get what you need the first time.

Ask Questiosn - Dont be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes the off the wall questions wont work, but general questions will. You can judge alot about a person from thier answers.

Do they ask you questions - These should include where will you be using your phone (Yeah i know everywhere, but there are some locations you will use the phne more often than others), what plan are you on now, who is your current carrier, are you happy with your current service provider. Any relativly experianced salesperson will know what to ask to speed the process up.

The chicken or the Egg - What do they show you first the service or the phone. Phones are nice, but service is the important thing. An experianced cellular salesman finds out the service that fits your needs first then works from there. I currently have say about 40 display phones in my store, if I select a carrier that does what you want instead of showing you 40 phones I only have to show you 15 give or take. Remember the carrier is always more influential on quality of service than the phone.

Pros and Cons - DDoes the sales person go into the good and the bad or only the good. Every service has its pluses and minuses. Dont be afraid to ask about the services weaknesses.

Do some homework - Internet is alright, but usually biased, or confusing, instead talk to friends. Ask them how they like the service they have, who they use, etc. John Q Public is great to tell you how a phone works in LA but if you are suing the phone in orlando that and 50 cents will get you a bus ride.

These are a couple of factors. They are not all of the tips, but a good start, and they are not constants. These by no means are written in stone, but some of them might make sense to you, some of them are common sense that are just overlooked. I hope they help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tips for Shopping for a Cell Phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tips for Shopping for a Cell Phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!