HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

Tips for filming screens and similar objects

by tleMega / March 20, 2008 11:32 AM PDT

I was looking for some tips on how to film a computer or TV screen without producing such a bad glare. Usually, screens look bright even when I turn the backlights on the lowest settings, as well as turning off the backlight on my camcorder. I know it would be better to invest in an on-screen application for just recording the screen movements, but if I want to record a person operating a machine or watching a program, how would I best set up the devices to record the screens for maximum visibility? Or, how could I make it to where the screen looks as if it were sitting in front of you (easy to read and all)?

Info much appreciated.
-BMF

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tips for filming screens and similar objects
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tips for filming screens and similar objects
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 12:26 PM PDT

That 3M antiglare material you find at office stores.
Bouncing light off the ceiling and
avoiding a direct reflection from lighting to screen to lens.

As to too bright, add light to the room.
Bob

Collapse -
Sounds "easy"
by tleMega / March 20, 2008 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: In short.

I am wondering how I could manage to bounce light off the ceiling... ;). Yeah. Still, I bet getting some sort of antiglare thing would help... I have tried different lighting but I really haven't experimented a lot with it. Looks so easy on the big screen, huh? Grin I'll figure out something to get the best solution. Thanks Bob.

-BMF

Collapse -
It's a lighting issue
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds "easy"

But that 3M privacy filter (sorry I forgot that word last time) could really nail it. As to bouncing lights here's a video about lighting. Those big lights don't need to be pointed directly at the subject but straight up to the ceiling.

Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OePFgmyvnWo for clues.
Bob

Collapse -
Well, that is easy
by tleMega / March 21, 2008 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a lighting issue

Getting the lighting down would be a piece of cake though, following that video's instructions anyway. I could do that. As to the privacy filter, I'm not sure if I could get some of those on my 40-50 inch TV back from the 90's. Thing is huge, but has a great picture for something as old as it is. I don't think those filters come in that size. But again, with the better lighting, that would really help.

I think I may have a light that could work, but I may still have to pick up one or two in the future. I know I could get some other light strapped to the camera, although it is just a regular Handycam. Piece of cake now. Thanks Bob.

-BMF

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.