PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Time To Get a New Battery?

by captdane / February 23, 2007 1:01 AM PST

I've had my laptop for about a year & a half. I think your average new laptop battery are supposed to last you a good 2-3 hours, right?

Mine is down to about 25 mins.

Time for a new one?

Damn..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Time To Get a New Battery?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Time To Get a New Battery?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
correction...
by captdane / February 23, 2007 1:05 AM PST

It lasts only 16 mins. I timed it....

Collapse -
18 months or 500 charges.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2007 1:10 AM PST

Be sure you've checked those recent recalls, you may get a free one. But as the battery ages you see the time plummet. Even more so on those power hungry Pentium 4 laptops. I've see batteries worn out in just a year.

To extend the lifetime you need to stay on AC as much as possible since that is less battery use.

As to the good 2-3 hours, my noted Pentium 4 unit barely cracked 1 hour when new. It only got worse with time. The reason for that unit being so low is the 65 to 100 Watt CPU and that it's not a "real" laptop but a desktop replacement.

Bob

Collapse -
battery
by captdane / February 23, 2007 4:10 AM PST

Yeah, when the whole recall thing was happening, I went & checked & my model was OK.

So, I'm gonna have to shell out 100+ bucks for a new one, huh?

Collapse -
Yes for 2 reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2007 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: battery

1. It's worn.

2. Old batteries can strain the charging circuit which can fail and be more costly than you can imagine to fix.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) 18mos. old battery - get a new one regardless, its that time
by Willy / February 23, 2007 4:11 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.