The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

time: study: why girls like pink

by decjr / August 21, 2007 12:40 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: time: study: why girls like pink
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: time: study: why girls like pink
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
another story link to the same research
by decjr / August 21, 2007 12:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
color
by stephenszpak / August 26, 2007 7:44 AM PDT

More on color (blindness):

Red-green color blindness

Those with protanopia, deuteranopia, protanomaly, and deuteranomaly have difficulty with discriminating red and green hues.

Genetic red-green color blindness affects men much more often than women, because the genes for the red and green color receptors are located on the X chromosome, of which men have only one and women have two. Such a trait is called sex-linked.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Protanopia (1% of males): Lacking the long-wavelength sensitive retinal cones, those with this condition are unable to distinguish between colors in the green-yellow-red section of the spectrum. They have a neutral point at a wavelength of 492 nm?that is, they cannot discriminate light of this wavelength from white. For the protanope, the brightness of red, orange, and yellow is much reduced compared to normal. This dimming can be so pronounced that reds may be confused with black or dark gray, and red traffic lights may appear to be extinguished. They may learn to distinguish reds from yellows and from greens primarily on the basis of their apparent brightness or lightness, not on any perceptible hue difference. Violet, lavender, and purple are indistinguishable from various shades of blue because their reddish components are so dimmed as to be invisible. E.g. Pink flowers, reflecting both red light and blue light, may appear just blue to the protanope.

(Wikipedia link below also has color tests. See if you're
color blind, if you want.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness
==========================================================
What no ones sees:

Bird colour vision differs from that of humans in two main ways. First, birds can see ultraviolet light.

http://www.bio.bris.ac.uk/research/vision/4d.htm

Collapse -
More brilliant 'science'... ;P
by punterjoe / September 9, 2007 12:26 PM PDT

Remember for nearly a century the USA led the world in the 'science' of eugenics. It seems all too easy to stir up popular cultural biases (ie: "common sense"), mix in some widespread superstition, dress it up in a labcoat and sell it to the gullible public as 'science'.
Just look at history to see what the 'experts' of their age preached as science and 'known truths'. From the (ahem) medical science of 'humours' to profoundly counterproductive treatments for scourges like tb & polio. Ok, this 'gender science' is seemingly less malevolent, but imho just as naively wrongheaded and counterproductve. Be very careful who you believe and what you believe, no matter how good the intentions. And always be open to info that challenges your beliefs. If they're true, they'll withstand the challenge.
How long until someone gets grant money to study what in the "Y" chromosome makes the 3 Stooges funny?

Collapse -
men and women are different
by stephenszpak / September 9, 2007 1:42 PM PDT

NEUROSCIENCE (only an excerpt from article):

His Brain, Her Brain

It turns out that male and female brains differ quite a bit in architecture and activity. Research into these variations could lead to sex-specific treatments for disorders such as depression and schizophrenia

And the brains of men and women have been shown to be quite clearly similar in many ways. Nevertheless, over the past decade investigators have documented an astonishing array of structural, chemical and functional variations in the brains of males and females.

These inequities are not just interesting idiosyncrasies that might explain why more men than women enjoy the Three Stooges.

Among other things, these investigators found that parts of the frontal cortex, the seat of many higher cognitive functions, are bulkier in women than in men, as are parts of the limbic cortex, which is involved in emotional responses. In men, on the other hand, parts of the parietal cortex, which is involved in space perception, are bigger than in women, as is the amygdala, an almond-shaped structure that responds to emotionally arousing information--to anything that gets the heart pumping and the adrenaline flowing.

By Larry Cahill

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&articleID=000363E3-1806-1264-980683414B7F0000

================================================================

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QDqsvWSZCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vch7CRhJpTM

Collapse -
im a girl and i hate pink for my entire life.
by girl_techie / October 6, 2007 3:51 PM PDT

That's not fair to the girls who hated the colour pink. Not all girls like that colour, it's not fair to class everybody as doing or liking everything.

Collapse -
by stephenszpak / October 7, 2007 7:24 AM PDT

girl_techie

From the study:

On average, the study found, all people generally prefer blue, something researchers have long known. The study also found that while both men and women liked blue, women tended to pick redder shades of blue ? reddish-purple hues ? while men preferred blue-green.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Even if this study is valid, and confirmed in future studies,
it represents what *most* women and men prefer in color. What you
prefer, or myself as a guy, is totally irrelevant.

As I posted in a link a while back on this thread, the brains of
men and women are different.

I assume (I don't know or know how to find out) that most
C++0x programmers are male. Yet in the States women are free to
learn programming if they want.

According to John Gray for what it's worth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gray_%28U.S._author%29

...I remember him saying once that men and women de-stress
totally differently.

The dreams of men and women are different according to Cloud
Nine by Sandra A. Thomson pages 60, 61 and 62 (in the version
I own.)

Anyway, I know men and women are different, that is, in general.
This is not a bad thing, each brings something to the table.

-Stephen

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.