Mac Applications forum

General discussion

time machine on lan

by tapasdesai / March 3, 2010 2:01 AM PST

i don't have an external hard drive.

but can i take a time machine back up using the hard drive of another computer (windows pc) through lan ??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: time machine on lan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: time machine on lan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 3, 2010 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: time machine on lan

Won't work like that.

P

Collapse -
damn it !! lol
by tapasdesai / March 4, 2010 6:48 AM PST

well, if i connect it to a lan network, do i need to configure anything or change some settings so i can access other computers on the network and vice versa ??
if yes then please explain...

thanx a lot Happy

Collapse -
If you connect what to a lan network?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 4, 2010 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: damn it !! lol

Time Machine will connect to a NAS or SAN, a hard drive that has network connectivity and its own IP address (like Apple's Time Capsule)

If you mean connect you Mac to a network, just take the ethernet cord and plug it in.

P

Collapse -
ok what i really want
by tapasdesai / March 5, 2010 4:00 AM PST

what i really want is
i want to use the hard drive of anothr windows computer as an external hard drive to backup my data.

will time machine backup data on anothr pc ??
or will i hav to manually copy everything onto the othr computer ??

Collapse -
Time Machine will not do that,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2010 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: ok what i really want

the drive will not be seen on the network, the computer will, but that is not what TM is looking for.

You will have to copy manually.

USB externals are relatively inexpensive for their size

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!