Computer Help forum

Question

time for a new video card?

by iameatingjam / June 8, 2013 3:03 AM PDT

I have a zotac gefore gtx 560 that has always given me some trouble with visual artifacts. At first I assumed it was my old power supply so I upgraded to a new one and it fixed the problem 90% of the time but it still happened occasionally. Now almost a year later the problem has returned and I see them all the time. I ran a
GPU stress test and I got several errors.

The fact that the exact same thing has happened with two PSUs make me feel like it is the card. Is that a good assumption?

GPU temps are not out the ordinary and it is running at stock clocks

this is my psu: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: time for a new video card?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: time for a new video card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Before you replace the card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2013 3:49 AM PDT

Did you inspect all boards for BAD CAPS as well as clean all heatsinks an replace all old heat sink compounds?
Bob

Collapse -
its toast
by iameatingjam / June 9, 2013 2:16 AM PDT

yes, yes and no. But I reinstalled all drivers, reseated the card, cleaned all heatsinks like you said and turned up the fan. Now my screen is flashing black sometimes going out for several seconds then saying "video driver has stopped working". I don't have my proof of purchase anymore so I'm just gonna buy a 660. I just really hope its not a psu problem after all.

Collapse -
Ow.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2013 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: its toast

Sorry to read such results. What is this turned up the fan?

One client installed a fan speed control because they didn't like the noise. The machine could only get a year or 2 from a video card due to the heat.
Bob

Collapse -
oops
by iameatingjam / June 9, 2013 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Ow.

I increased the fan speed to keep the heat down just in case that was the problem. Didn't seem to help. I am running of integrated right now and everything seems to be working smoothly. I guess that is one more thing that points to the gpu eh?

Collapse -
It does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2013 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: oops

I'm sure you tried the video card a few times so one last thing. Did this video card get a power connection from the power supply? Sometimes we forget to connect that.
Bob

Collapse -
yes
by iameatingjam / June 9, 2013 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: It does.

it took two six pins, and yes they were connected. Thanks Happy

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The 560s have known issues
by Jimmy Greystone / June 8, 2013 3:20 AM PDT

The 560s, particularly the 560Ti model have a known issue that can cause visual artifacts and even poor performance. The issue SHOULD be fixed via a VBIOS update on most cards, but I have run into one or two people who are still having issues even after flashing the VBIOS update. nVidia has been trying to keep this one kind of quiet, so check Zotac's site and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a VBIOS update.

Collapse -
no update
by iameatingjam / June 8, 2013 3:35 AM PDT

Thanks for the help, but it seems zotac released no such update. Is there anything I can do?

Collapse -
You can request an RMA
by Jimmy Greystone / June 8, 2013 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: no update

You can request an RMA, but unless you can find someone within Zotac who can ensure that the replacement card was manufactured after this issue was identified and corrected, it's luck of the draw whether you'll just get another card with the same issues. You can also try flashing a VBIOS update from some other manufacturer's 560Ti card. It SHOULD be fine, since the GPU is the same, but it's always one of those at your own risk type things.

Collapse -
Answer
Just for yuks.
by Bob__B / June 8, 2013 9:17 AM PDT

You might want to verify the pci-e plug on the video card is NOT plugged into rail # 1 of the psu.

Collapse -
Answer
IMHO, just get new GPU
by Willy / June 9, 2013 6:24 AM PDT

Well, if you ran the stress test and is petered then by all means replace the card. Excluding any manufacturing issues, when it comes to a GPU area, the card certainly wants all the power it needs and then has to be cooled well. As you say, the cooling is OK, then consider the overall cooling of the PC. It *ALL* comes together to make it work on a reliable basis. I find too often that if ran over a period time OK, then it starts to crap-put then consider than "heat stress" has done it in. No amount of correction will do because the heat stress level has been reached, even if you cool more the point is, its been compromised. It just won't take it anymore even at lower level it has become too "iffy". The GPU itself in some area of its own, like ram or pipeline can't meet the demands and thus shows its output as reduced display. If you even use it now at std. or normal levels it's too late. Improve the cooling when you install new card and while you have a better PSU, make sure its well over the needs. You should consider any PSU capable of delivering it's rated wattage at 75%, thus look for a 80+ rating for insurance. Understand even good PSU aren't intended for prolonged sustained demand at high levels sooner or later it too will succumb among any other problems. Which is why from the git, get the best and cool well if you demand high standards such as gaming. Of course, if the manufacturing side of that GPU is prone to issues, it comes into play that much sooner.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Indeed
by iameatingjam / June 9, 2013 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: IMHO, just get new GPU

Thanks, I guess its time to move on! I just ordered a gigabyte 660, hopefully it solves my problems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.