General discussion

Tied between two laptops

Hello, I'm a 26 year old student and I decided to purchase a laptop. I purchased a Toshiba A665-S6086 laptop and so far I love it for the two days I have owned it. I was also looking at a HP dv7-4165dx laptop as well. I mainly use a computer for internet searching and school work which consists of using word, excel and powerpoint. My question is, has anyone had good and or bad luck with a Toshiba? I have only owned HP and I thought I would give Toshiba a shot. Also, they offered me an extended warranty and declined it. Stupid of me to do? Thanks everyone!

Doug

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Tied between two laptops
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Tied between two laptops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The dv7 is unsuitable for most students.

It's too big, too bendy and my outlook is that you would be lucky for it to last 2 years given it's build. The reason why bendy is bad has been discussed but I think it's worth noting again by writing "Pb free means lower ductile strength."

Your selected Tosh is a very nice i3 16 inch machine. At the edge of what many accept to be a machine for mobile use (ie students) but no doubt I will pick this over the dv7.

Bob

PS. We own a dv7 that is used as a desktop. It is not a laptop.

- Collapse -
I have an older version of the DV7.

It's about 1.5 years old and has been reliable. I've taken it on airplanes and traveled with it alot and I love it. I've never had a toshiba so i don't know about it. One thing the DV7 is a multimedia pc so it has some power for what you are using it for. One thing I tell college students look at Asus which some models come with 2 year factory and 1 year accidental damage warranties. That warranty is hard to beat.

- Collapse -
Hi

I have been using a Toshiba Satellite for 4 years now...no major complaints, infact the touchpad has been the best I've seen..But really cant say much about the latest models being offered now...Dont know about ur part of the world, but in India, HP no longer enjoys a good market, atleast for home use...

- Collapse -
Hello

I've been using my Toshiba for a few weeks now and so far I love it. I probably would have liked the HP too but so far this thing is rather quick and I was told they have better parts in Toshiba than HP now a days?

- Collapse -
Doubt it.

The CPU, chipsets, memory sticks, and hard drives are almost always from the same makers and there is no quality levels for CPUs or "parts."

What you can see are differences in choice of design, plastics, layout, the LCD, ports but the "parts" isn't where the quality is at.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info