Question

Ticking sound?

Hi;

I noticed 3,4 times by now, that when my comp is processing something it makes a ticking sound, like a clock: tick,,,,tick,,,,tick,,and also runs terribly slow,.
When I restart it is ok again. Does anyone know what this may be? I did the malware scan but didn't detect anything.
Thanks, Tress

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Ticking sound?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Ticking sound?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Let's look at the PC.

Oops I got nothing. But older machines do this many times so finding the source is fun. (for me that is)

I'll use a modified stethoscope and find that ticking is either some hard drive scan or an old coil that I can put a drop of SHELLAC on.

Do you remember how electrical coils are made and what the SHELLAC does?
Bob

- Collapse -
Oh, OH, OH . . .

Me, me, me, I do, I do! Some voice coils and choke coils still use a form of shellac. And most transformers today. It's an excellent insul . . . product. Ooops, almost gave it away.

Tell me this, guru, what is shellac made of? Don't Google first!

- Collapse -
Now now.

All I remember is that what it is made from today is a synthetic that we don't want to drink. I wonder if the original is still available?
Bob

- Collapse -
Yes to available . . .

High end wood working and wood finish. It's the secreted resin of an insect.

- Collapse -
The electronics version is now a synthetic.

From memory.

It used to be a lot of stuff was from nature.

In the early days you could tune a Capacitor by shaving a layer off the MICA insulator.
Bob

- Collapse -
hi again

Hi guys,
Thanks for your posts, but to be honest I do not quite understand what I am supposed to do regarding this sound, that happens from time to time, not always~ What do I have to buy? Sorry for being ignorant, I am not that acqainted with this termilnology or products.

Thanks
Tess

- Collapse -
In short.

You find the source of the noise then if it's some coil you put a drop of shellac on it. Let it dry before use.

If you don't know a term, try google.com and that term.
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks

I'll do that:))

- Collapse -
Answer
I remember now!!

That ticking sound while XP is processing something is akin to mouse clicks. It's controlled in Sounds in Control Panel. Annoying to say the least. I only hear it when my sound is turned up really high.

Maybe?

- Collapse -
Hi

How do you suggest I control it in the sounds, is there any option there that I could select? Also not only that sound, BUT, when it does occur, the processing time is very slow and I have to wait for a long time. So really don't know....

- Collapse -
Go to Control Panel . . .

Sounds, click the Sounds tab. Sample (click the "right" arrow) for each one with a speaker next to it until you find the offender.

As to the machine slowing down, only you can tell us what is running when this happens.

- Collapse -
Ok

I followed your instructions, even though,. am not sure what is asterix (is it some intruder), and default beep? The others seem necessary and right to me even though I am no pro, but learning:))

Tess

- Collapse -
just to add

For Asterix it sais Windows XP error, so don;t know if this sound is ok to have.
ohhh now I see, so stupid of me, didn't notice there was an option to hear the sound. Thanks so much, will give it a try now:))
Tess

CNET Forums