HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Thwart key-loggers

by 70441.2227 / May 12, 2006 8:12 PM PDT

Hi,
Just a quick easy question. If you copy and paste your password will you thwart key-loggers? I run Sybot S&D, Ewido, Adaware Personal, and Microsoft AntiSpyware will this software protect me?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thwart key-loggers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thwart key-loggers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Thwart key-loggers...
by John.Wilkinson / May 13, 2006 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thwart key-loggers

Copying and pasting your password has both advantages and disadvantages:

* Keyloggers, in the basic sense, record your keystrokes. If you copy-andpaste your password, the keylogger has no keystrokes to record. That's good.

* Some spyware, and even websites, can check what's on your clipboard, which is where items you have copied and pasted go. Thus, your password can be intercepted, possibly remotely, whereas with keyloggers the software must be on your machine. That's bad.

* If you are copying and pasting you password, that means it is stored somewhere on your computer. If it's left in an unencrypted form, it can be easily read. Granted, the person or software may to instantly recognize that as being your password, but having it stored, unencrypted, on your computer is never good.

Personally, I'd rather type my password in each time than use the copy-paste method, and simply make sure that my computer's free of pests. The collection of software you have, with emphasis on Ewido, will do that. Just make sure you also have a firewall and antivirus in the mix.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Key-Loggers
by 70441.2227 / May 13, 2006 2:01 PM PDT

Hi John,
Once again, thanks for the information. Of the mentioned software, I run them on a daily basis. Also, I run AVG antivirus in real time and scan my computer on a nightly basis. My firewall is Zone Alarm. And, I also have MS AntiSpyware resident and run a scan nightly(I'm not sure if this software actually does a good job, but maybe I'm wrong).
All of my paswords are kept on the Internet at password repository, but I copy and paste them when I sign on to a site. There are a few passwords that I have stored in a third party clipboard utility for pasting in at Internet sites. I guess I must reconsider that issue.
I use siteadvisor to steer away from "red" or sites that are marked as being undesireable. Also, as a general procedure, I steer away from the typical unreliable sites(also anything I am remotely unsure about) . So, I feel comfortable about my situation. Probably too comfortable.
The one question I have is how a spyware program or website would correlate a password to a particular site? Even if they knew it was a password and read it from the cliboard. I think that would the crux of the situation.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Monitors your activity...
by John.Wilkinson / May 13, 2006 3:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Key-Loggers

If a spyware program simply found a file named "123.txt" which contained your password, it wouldn't know what it goes to, or even that it's a password. However, depending on which spyware/snooping application you're dealing with, it can monitor your activity, such as the date and time you access a website, along with the corresponding URL. It can also log the data/time you access a file or what's stored on the clipboard. Someone going over the logs would see the times one after the other and put it together either what your password is or what file it's located in. Of course this wouldn't be your run of the mill case of spyware, but it's how someone could find out if they're intent on spying on your actions.

You're actually looking quite good behind the protection you've got lined up. I have a similar setup, but run antispyware every other day and AV weekly, unless I suspect something. I haven't had a single case of malware or even a tracking cookie in months, so I'm easing back in the recliner too. Happy

Safe surfing.
John

Collapse -
Key Loggers
by 70441.2227 / May 14, 2006 3:42 AM PDT

Thanks again John. I appreciate the information. Safe surfing!

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.