General discussion

thumb drive write errors

I have a 32 gig thumb drive but it doesn't do me much good. My problem is that I cannot write files greater than a couple hundred megabytes at a time. If I save a word doc and safely remove, it will work as designed. But when trying to save a larger ppt, I safely remove and it failed to write. I've read about "ghost" files or something that still waiting to be written, however the progress bar for copying a file will be complete and closed out, I safely remove (as always) and plug it back in or into another computer and it will be either an incompatible format or fail to open. What's wrong?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: thumb drive write errors
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: thumb drive write errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Thumb drive issue

And you formatted it?

- Collapse -

I formatted it several times. I will format it again tonight as I am unable to write those files to it still. Very irritating! Any ideas?

- Collapse -
Be sure not to use Windows when formatting.
- Collapse -
Tried the new formatting still didn't work

I'm wondering if perhaps this is a fake thumb drive. When I plug it in, it shows 32 gigs avail (or so). I can continue to write things to it, but it doesn't work with large files after writing several others (i.e. I can write a 1 gig file immediately after formatting and everything's fine, afterward I cannot write large files.

I'm thinking a 32 gig thumb drive should allow me to write 32 gigs worth of info to it. Perhaps it's a fake...

- Collapse -
If not, it is just defective.

Have the retailer show it working or refund/exchange it.
Bob

- Collapse -
By any chance did you buy the flash drive ...

CNET Forums