General discussion

Thumb drive can't be read

Hi,

I brought my 128MB thumb drive back home to Singapore for storing some vacation pictures and upon going back to work in China, realized that none of the laptops nor PCS here can read my thumb drive!

I have been using this China-produced thumb drive with no problems on the China PCs and laptops for the past 6 months, and this error occurred only upon my return from Singapore. I suspect that the PC I used back in Singapore had a virus that I inevitably stored in my thumb drive.

Now when I insert the thumb drive, the PC prompts that there is a wrong USB connection. The red light does not even light up on the thumb drive, which means the PC can't even detect it.

Upon checking on the thumb drive problem back in China, an error message popped up as below (I am translating the error message from the original Chinese one):

"Symantec script has prevented a harmful script from operating.
Application: Helpctr.exe
Origin: C:\ -url hcp:\help\+shoot\tsusb.htm
Object: FileSystem Object
Method: Get Special Folder"

This thumb drive contains precious vacation pictures so if anybody can suggest a solution, I would be really grateful - thanks heaps in advance!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Thumb drive can't be read
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Thumb drive can't be read
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Symantec knows the issue.

I'm surprised they didn't tell you to disable the scan on removable drives.

It's a known bug.

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks heaps!

Let me try it out again; am oh-so-untech-savvy and any nugget of info is priceless to me; much appreciated!

CNET Forums

Forum Info