Computer Help forum

General discussion

Thumb Drive

by wildbill5891 / June 21, 2010 6:17 AM PDT

Is a thumb drive like a portable hard drive ? I have two e-mail accounts with folders for saved e-mail for both of them. Can I create a
folder on the thumb drive and copy those folders to the thumb drive ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thumb Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thumb Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Kind of.
by mopscare42 / June 21, 2010 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Thumb Drive

It's somewhat the same as a hard drive but no moving parts. They are both storage devises.
They come in several capacities such as 1gig, 2gig, 4gig etc.
I have always just named the folder on the computers hard drive and either dragged and dropped it to the thumb drive in Windows explorer or right click the folder and send to whatever drive letter it takes on when you plug it into the computer.
You can see that by going into my computer before you plug it in and see what's listed then again after you plug it in to see what drive letter it comes up as.
You didn't say what operating system you are using so it could be a little different.

Collapse -
Storage media
by Willy / June 21, 2010 8:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Thumb Drive

Think of your thumb(flash) drive as removable media. Just like a HD, it can store any data provided it has space for it. Of course, unlike a HD, you can easily carry it around more so than an ext. HD type. Regardless, treat it as another place to store data. If your pgm. allows it, direct data directly to it or copy data to the thumb drive.

I exclude the pitfalls of the thumb drive as they're well discussed on these forums, check the storage forum and/or google flash drives for typical problems.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?