Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Throughput software

by Meshari-890 / May 16, 2010 4:21 PM PDT

Hi everyone..

Is there a software where I can put two IP adresses and monitor a real time throughput between 2 devices..

Thanks in advance

Meshari..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Throughput software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Throughput software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
monitoring software.
by bill012 / May 16, 2010 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Throughput software

Real time monitoring requires hardware in one form or another. You need some device to analyze the data.

Commercial routers have some ability to provide data but normally you need a add on tool. Most these are in a class of tools meant to monitor networks and cost more than most cars.

If you are looking for a commercial solution Netscout has a lot of nice boxes that do this but priced toward large companies.

To do this on the cheap your best bet is to use a free tool called wireshark. If you can load this on one of the end machines you can get some basic reports. If you do not have access the end machines then you will have to have hardware. The minimum you will need is a PC to again run wireshark and a way to tap the circuit. The method to tap the circuit could be as simple as a switch that has the ability to replicate "mirror" data second port up to commercial taps that you clamp onto fiber.

Now if you control both end devices and want to simulate thought put and test network capacity a very simple free command line tool that has been around for years called IPERF works very well. This is a active testing tool and not a monitoring tool.

Collapse -
monitoring software
by Meshari-890 / May 17, 2010 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: monitoring software.

Thank you bill for the fast rsponse..

I used "iperf" and as u said it works very well, but the problem with this tool is that it doesn't give u a real time calcualtion.

I want u to know that I have full control for both ends. Knowing this, will wireshark be able to provide me with a real time throughput calculation?

Thank u again 4 your help..

Collapse -
wireshark
by bill012 / May 17, 2010 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: monitoring software

To a point it will. It has a number of reports that will work against the open collection buffer. Simple I/O rate graph seem ok. You can build filters for each address pair and graph I think up to 5 at the same time. If you work at you could graph different protocols as well as IP addresses.

The issue with using wireshark as a live protocol analyzer is that it really a packet capture tool designed to look at data after it is captured. The only live data it can look at is in the capture buffer. Although the size of this buffer can be made large when you capture on path that has a lot of traffic the buffer will wrap over itself and if you make the buffer too large you will bog the machine down.

The method I use is to let it capture for a few minutes to a file and then stop and look at the file. Although not real time the more advanced reports are more accurate. The reports that show jitter in VoIP calls only seem to work on non live data.

On paths that are running huge amounts of data I use 2 machines. One to capture the data since it can do little else and another to look at the data. You can set wireshark to write the data to files at a set interval of set byte count. I share the drive it writes to and open the files using another copy of wireshark. Not truly live data but only a couple minutes old.

Collapse -
Devices or Windows PCs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Throughput software
Collapse -
by Meshari-890 / May 17, 2010 4:22 AM PDT

I will try these two softwares and I'll give you my feedback..

Thanks a lot to both of you..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!