Mac Hardware forum

Resolved Question

Three greyed out question marks in my dock.

by jporter / August 21, 2011 5:03 PM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"><span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> I have three greyed out question marks in my dock. I have tried to use Apple's method of getting rid of them and it will not work their way. It seems that the app's these question marks represent is no longer available as they have been removed from whereever the dock stores them.

jporter has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Three greyed out question marks in my dock.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Three greyed out question marks in my dock.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jporter

Collapse -
Icons in the dock are only alias's that point
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 21, 2011 10:08 PM PDT

to the application that they represent.
They are NOT actual applications.

Collapse -
Grayed out Question mark.
by jporter / August 22, 2011 1:54 AM PDT

Thank you for your reply. However, it did not solve my problem. The first part of your reply told me how to get the Icon app in to the dock. I do not want any app to replace these question marks.

Second, this is the standard Apple reply and when the curser is placed over the question mark and pulled to the desk top, there is no puff of smoke. I get a little box that says "Options" and when I click on it, there are no options. So now what do I do? Do I need to load the new apps in order for the second part to work??

Collapse -
the reason that htis is the standard Apple reply is
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 3:17 AM PDT

because this is the way to remove icons from the dock.

The dock does not "store" applications, it's just a holder for the alias's.

What do you get if you RIGHT click on the grey icons, no drag-just click?

P

Collapse -
Still have greyed out question marks.
by jporter / August 22, 2011 3:10 PM PDT

I did as you said. One question mark is for Firefox. The application is in the dock, but the
question mark is still greyed out. I can move it to the desk top and all I get is a small box
with options. I click on it and nothing happens. I do not have right and left click on my track
ball. Any thing else I should look for????

Collapse -
you most certainly do have a right and left click,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 10:05 PM PDT

especially a left click.
Without a left click you would not be able to navigate anywhere on your Mac and would certainly not be able to drag the grey icons onto the desktop.

Collapse -
I did not know this.
by jporter / August 23, 2011 3:14 PM PDT

Yes, I do have the left click, but do not know if I have a right click. I have to read the instructions for this
trackball. I like using the depressed control button too. I did not know this. I tried it and nothing happened to the greyed out question mark. They are still there. Where is the application or instructions for the workings of the dock? Maybe I have to delete the whole thing and start over. One question mark is for Open Office.org, which I do not use anymore. I, therefore, threw the application away and the dock cannot find it. Should I reload it from the internet, place it in the dock and then drag it to the desktop?
Will this get rid of the question mark. What about Firefox? I have the latest version and I am afraid if I delete it from the dock I will lose stuff I have no idea on how to replace. Thank you, Jimmy

Collapse -
you have already got the instructions for the dock,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 23, 2011 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: I did not know this.

I suggest that you just ignore the question marks and move on.

Collapse -
no need to reinstall Open Office
by Mr. Gregg / September 3, 2011 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I did not know this.

No, deleting things from the Dock does not mean you lose stuff. You just lose the icon on the Dock, which is a "shortcut" or "alias" - choose whichever term you like.

Collapse -
This worked!
by jporter / September 3, 2011 4:16 PM PDT

Your second paragraph did the trick. I held down the Command key (for Mac it is the key next to the space bar and marked with an apple.), placed the curser on the question mark> option box appeared> moved curser over Options box> it asked it I wanted to deleate the question mark> I placed the curser over the question mark and pulled it to the desk top where it promptly exploded in a puff of smoke;no more greyed out question mark in the dock. Thank all of you who helped me with this problem, now I can sleep tonight. Make note of this all you Mac users.

Jimmy Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.