TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Three choices, three different prices....one HDTV

by Jim12385 / March 27, 2008 9:33 AM PDT

I am looking at purchasing the Panasonic TH-58PZ700U (58" Plasma) very soon. I have found the following three internet retailers and prices:

Crutchfield.com - $3,499.99 (Free Shipping)
NewEgg.com - $3,199.99 (Includes $99.99 Delivery Charge)
Vanns.com - $3,099.99 (Free Shipping)

My question is this: Is purchasing from Crutchfield, and receiving their very reputable customer service/support worth the additional price I am paying, or should I go with NewEgg.com or Vanns.com and save some cash (to put towards a Blue Ray player of course).

I only recently found Vanns and do not know enough about them. I have known about NewEgg for a while, but never purchased from them. I have heard good things about Crutchfield.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also....I am about 99% sure that I will not be purchasing an extended warranty. Anyone have any solid reasons to try and talk me into buying one?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Three choices, three different prices....one HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Three choices, three different prices....one HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check Ebay
by dinox64 / March 27, 2008 1:14 PM PDT

Items #360035642898, #360036192358. Savings is some and they have great feedback. When I bought mine I figured what I saved was more than the warranty so I bought it. $250>48 months is about 5 bucks a month for in home service which started day one after the Panasonics one year warranty. Not bad on what was then a $1900 Monitor. Good luck

Collapse -
If your buying online,
by gretzkyv99 / March 28, 2008 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Check Ebay

take the cheapest one, another thing to consider is that new panasonic models are on the way which may lead to you finding that same tv in stores pretty cheap soon.

Collapse -
Cheapest isn't always best.
by bevillan / March 28, 2008 1:29 AM PDT

Some websites give you really cheap prices but have non-existent customer service and if something goes wrong, good luck working with them to get a refund/exchange.

Vanns is a pretty reputable site so if you can get it $400 cheaper than Crutchfield then it is safe to go with them.

Collapse -
Even Cheaper
by Esw88 / March 28, 2008 2:01 AM PDT

J&R $2999.00 plus shipping, very reputable!

Collapse -
yep
by bevillan / March 28, 2008 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Even Cheaper

J&R is a good site too. I'd stick to Crutchfield, J&R, and Vanns for major electronics sites.

Collapse -
J & R - The shipping gets you
by Jim12385 / March 28, 2008 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Even Cheaper

I saw J & R's price too, but the shipping puts it into an area between the NewEgg and Crutchfield prices.

I think everyone who replied has helped me a lot. I was not familiar with Vann's, but considering I haven't found many poor reviews on them and some here have confirmed they are reputable, I think they will end up getting my business.

I was curious if these Panasonic 700s would start to get discounted in stores now that the 750s are out, but I wasn't sure how long that process would take before prices started to come down. Right now the 58" set I am looking at is $3,999.99 at my local Tweeter. That's $500 more than Crutchfield and $900 more then Vann's!

Collapse -
Depends Where you Live
by Esw88 / March 28, 2008 3:30 AM PDT

The shipping costs will vary depending on where you live.
Check your phone book for local electronics or appliance stores. (not Best Buy or Circuit City.) You might get lucky and find a store that is willing to meet the price of the Internet stores. I did that and I found a store in New Haven CT, that met the price, with no delivery charge.

Collapse -
a few other places to just take a look-see
by jostenmeat / March 28, 2008 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends Where you Live

Visual Apex
Plasma Concepts

outside chance that AVS sells plasmas. Maybe not due to weight, but if they did Id be looking to get a price quote for damn sure.

j

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.