General discussion

Three choices, no drive to choose any of the three.

I'm looking to replace my current HP Pavilion DV9000.

I'm something of a HP guy... so I'm looking at the

Envy17

or the

DV8t

And outside the HP box, also the G73JW from Asus.

But that's running third because its not HP- though the cooling advertised for it sounds intruiging, as does the new Nvidia GPU with 1.5 memory.

The Difference between to two HP laptops really comes down to a couple features,

an NVidia 230M vs an ATI HD 5850

And The Envy's slot load vs this lame gremlin infested Pavillion optical drive. The one I've got now drives me bonkers because it keeps popping open the optical drive to the smallest bump, or no bump at all. Sometimes, it doesn't even pop open, just spins up like I just inserted a disk, running autoplay.

A few other features here and there tend to wash... the finger print reader on the DV8t sounds nice... but the Envy has a backlit keyboard, and USB3.0. All little bits here and there that don't sway the discussion for me.

I'm looking for input on all three of these machines- everything from wait until after Christmas for the next wave of models to a fourth model I haven't discovered yet would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Three choices, no drive to choose any of the three.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Three choices, no drive to choose any of the three.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
forgot to mention-

Most likely uses for it will be-

Gaming obviously, SC2, WoW, hopefully the KOTOR MMO come spring time.

Portable TV/DVD/Bluray/entertainment

- Collapse -
I may have to remove ASUS from any rec.

It appears folks are complaining about spare parts from ASUS again. Small things too like power adapters. If ASUS in the USA can't stock and ship spares, forget them.

The i7 powered laptops while powerful do upset folk with very warm machines and short battery times. Is there a compelling reason to stick with a laptop for games?
Bob

- Collapse -
Very compelling

Yes, the portability factor. I have a desktop machine for playing at home, but I still want one that I can take on the road.. as far as heat and battery life, I almost always have a chill mat, and AC power available. the Asus cooling factor was more of an impressive longevity thing than a comfort thing. I don't keep it on my lap anyway.

- Collapse -
Don't buy sight unseen.

In the Cnet Laptop Buying Advice forum a member is complaining about the Asus cooling factor. That is they feel the CPU temp is too high (according to them.)

Be sure you get a chance to feel what these units feel like since it's not the lap people gripe about but the hot keyboard and palm rests.
Bob

- Collapse -
What about the video cards

Does anyone have any input on the differences between the video card?

- Collapse -
Both will play games.

You can research notebookcheck.com for more. I don't retype such content but the 230M is at the low end for GAMING. If there is a lesson about gamers you always opt for the higher solutions and never use onboard or the models at the bottom of the offerings (the 230M is one up from the bottom.)
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info