Phones forum

General discussion

Thoughts on verizon PDA phones?

by tange1 / March 18, 2005 9:07 AM PST

Verizon is offering 2 PDA phones right now, the Samsung i700, and the audiovox vx6600. I need a phone PDA combo unit and either of these would seem to fit the bill, so I was wondering what people's thoughts were, or if they knew other PDA phone options that work on verizon's network? I'm looking to include wifi, or support for SDIO (like the devices above) to use SDIO wifi cards

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thoughts on verizon PDA phones?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thoughts on verizon PDA phones?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Verizon PDAs
by walthouse / March 19, 2005 3:36 PM PST

They also have a Treo 600, which is awesome. It is a Palm OS unlike the i700 and 6600. There also is an i500, the two best are the treo and 6600.

Collapse -
Verizon XV 6600
by robtaylor / March 21, 2005 8:17 AM PST

I have had the XV6600 for about a week now. Have not had a chance to really "wring it out" but it has been acceptable so far. The phone itself works fine, but there are a few annoyances:
1. I can't find a case for it that I can put on my belt.
the little slip case that comes with it is fine, but if you want to carry it around, a belt clip case would be helpful.
2. The battery life seemed really bad, untill I discovered that the case that came with it tended to constantly hit the buttons, turning the pda on almost constantly even when it was not in use. when you turn the keys off and just use the on off button, battery life was much better.
3. the bluetooth connectivity to my motorola headset is hit and miss, I usually have to reconnect manually to use the headset, somewhat of a pain.
4. the volume is pretty low, if there is any sort of background noise, you have to set the speakerphone on just to hear.

On the pda side, the email sync is pretty fast and seems very reliable. web access is quick.

All in all, if I can find a case for the silly thing, I will keep it.

Collapse -
Verizon Audiovox XV6600
by vr5ken / July 9, 2005 1:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Verizon XV 6600

I have had my Verizon Audiovox XV6601 for about a week now, so far it works good I had one instance of removing the battery and it lost all of the information on it. Lucky for me I had backed up to a SD 512mb Card I put in it. The phone works pretty good just haven't figured out how put it on speaker phone while I'm talking. Battery life is very bad I would like to buy an extended life battery but haven't been able to track one down. I have purchased a SDIO Wifi card on Ebay called Spectec 802.11b Wi-Fi SD WLAN Card WiFi from "Mechantrun" is the Ebay seller. Hopefully it will work with my PocketPC. All in all it very cool and I hope to fine a GPS unit to go with it. The biggest complaint I have is the email from Verizon that is incompatible with MSN/Hotmail. I have to use my other email to get messages.

Collapse -
Spectec 802.11b Wi-Fi SD on Audiovox XV6600
by volker40 / August 3, 2005 2:29 PM PDT

I read that you bought the Spectec 802.11b Wi-Fi SD for your Audiovox 6600 - does it work - well?

Volker

Collapse -
wifi card for cellphone
by medasen / April 25, 2007 7:09 PM PDT

is there any SDIO Wifi card or SD WLAN Card WiFi that will work with cellphone not PDA nor pocket PC.If any where can I get it.

Collapse -
accessories for the XV 6600.
by BenplayinmyDad / November 27, 2005 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: Verizon XV 6600

Hey now, I've had my 6600 for about a 2 weeks. had some touble getting the mil side set up but now have my outlook express 2002 recieving and syncing my pocket pc with ease. Pocket solutions on the web has all kinds of cases and extended keyboeards, batteries etc for the xv 6600. Gauarentee you'll find a case there

Collapse -
WAIT! Don't buy just yet!
by mitch_fan / November 28, 2005 4:17 AM PST

Verizon is coming out with some new PDA phones in the near future: the XV6700 (successor to the XV6600) and the Treo 700w (successor to the Treo 650). Both will run Windows Mobile 5.0. The XV6700 has built-in wifi and the Treo will support wifi through SD adapter (I believe). I'd suggest the XV6700. I'm actually posting this from the Sprint version of the 6700, and I absolutely love it so far! You can check it out at a Sprint store, or if you're impatient, go to a Best Buy store. All of the Geek Squad guys there were given the Verizon version before it came out. If you ask nicely, they'll probably let you see it. Hope that helps!

Collapse -
but when???
by ckeegan / November 28, 2005 6:49 AM PST

Ah yes, but the ultimate question is when will the XV6700 be available to Verizon subscribers. I understand that field-testers already have the device, but when do the rest of us get to have fun???

Collapse -
but when?
by reday000 / December 6, 2005 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: but when???

A sales person in Lexington, Ky told me yesterday that she would have it in 2 weeks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?