Laptops forum

Tip

Thoughts on Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-571-77QK

by MaChew94 / January 28, 2018 10:50 AM PST

Hi!

I thought it high time I upgraded my old Asus ROG750JM and get a newer, shiny one. My budget is around £1k (comfortable), stretching to £1,200 (if it's absolutely essential to go for the higher one). I won't be gaming much these days as I don't get much time for it, however I've always been of the mind where with tech, buy the best you can at the time to future proof it. So, what I'm looking for is a powerful machine that doesn't overheat, is user-friendly, and I've got that peace of mind that it can handle XYZ game if I need to. The main games I play (usually with mates) are PubG, LoL (not essential for good graphics here), Rocket league (same) and Civ5. I play Skiyrim SE offline (and want to be able to mod it) and a few other titles. If my new machine stands up to the task, though, I may move onto this platform more and get new titles like assassin's creed, switch fifa on to this, and maybe a few COD/Battleground titles.

I just bought a HP Omen an013na (17.3 inch, GTX1060, i7-7700HQ) and returned it was I was simply not happy with it - it kept crashing and just generally felt bad (the graphics were gorgeous on ultra, however) and the fans spun constantly.

With all this in mind, I've stumbled on the laptop in the title. It's a touch over £1,000 and all i can find "wrong" with it is a dull screen. I'm wondering why it's £2-300 under the rest of the GTX1060 models (Lenovos, MSIs, Gigabyte saber).

What I want to know is is it a good model to buy? If not, are there any good alternatives that are generally decent that I can browse some reviews on that won't break the bank? £1,200 is really the upper limit here. I did wonder at dropping to a 4Gb GTX1050i, but I wanna future proof and make this last as long as possible, and so far the Helios (minus the poor screen) is ticking those boxes.

Tl,DR: bought an omen recently, didn't like it. Helios looks good. £1,000 preferred price, £1,200 at a push, £1,300 at an absolute max. Don't have time for much hardcore gaming these days, but want to be able to play new releases and have peace of mind that it can handle these. Would a cheaper GTX1050i be a better option, or would the GTX1060 be better, even for a "non hardcore" gamer.

Thanks all!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thoughts on Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-571-77QK
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thoughts on Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-571-77QK
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OK, I admit it. I bought a Predator.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2018 10:56 AM PST

This one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ND01X1Y/

I don't consider the screen dull. It's good to great here and has Gsync to work with the 1060.

My only complaint is it still required a knowledgeable owner. That is, I had to run the GeForce Experience to clear up some graphic issues. The industry is not there yet on delivering a ready to run gamer PC IMO.

HP? They never came back to me over my last HP. It only solidifies my position that HP is a non-player today. Read https://www.cnet.com/forums/post/e2f56129-a715-405f-a7fb-b59044e1165d/

Collapse -
Link didn't work
by MaChew94 / January 29, 2018 10:12 AM PST

Yeah, not happy with HP, glad I'm not the only one. I assumed they were still a prestigious company, I suppose not!

Your link didn't work, so I can't check it, but the model number I posted above corresponds to a machine with 16Gb RAM, i7-7700HQ and GTX1060, and all for £1,050 in a 15.6" case. And I'm just wondering why it's such a low price when similar machines have a price tag of more like £1,300? All I can find on review sites is that the display is low, but apart from that it doesn't seem like it's a bad machine - indeed, the reviews are all 7-8/10. So where have Acer cut their corners?

How long have you had your predator? Have you found any issues with it? Cooling/fans OK (and not overly loud/struggling?) And when you say it needed setting up, was this just optimising the graphics card from the Nvidia panel?

I do really like the look of it, and not just the price!

Cheers Happy

Collapse -
Here's the full model I went with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2018 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Link didn't work

I bought this one:
Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7, GeForce GTX 1060, 17.3" Full HD, 16GB DDR4, 1TB HHD + 256GB SSD, Black, PH317-51-787B

The 15 inch model looks to be:
Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7, GeForce GTX 1060, 15.6" Full HD, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, G3-572-7526

I've had this since November 29, 2017 and all seems fine. Fans don't seem to "struggle." I wonder if the model you are looking at is without the SSD. That could help push the price down.

As to the graphics, a game failed at some point and I had to manually run GeForce Experience and catch up on the driver. What my comment here is that new users may be lost or need support. Or they could write what a terrible laptop it is. I'm a little more seasoned than most.

Would I buy again? Sure.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?