Speakeasy forum

General discussion

thought-showers?

Now brainstorms are off the agenda

'Brainstorming', the buzzword used by executives to generate ideas among their staff, has been deemed politically incorrect by civil servants because it is thought to be offensive to people with brain disorders.

Instead staff at the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment (DETI) in Belfast will use the term 'thought-showers' when they get together to think creatively.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/story/0,,1515134,00.html

Pretty bad when the Politically Correct terms aren't politically correct. And of course, eventually none of them will be!

Cindi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: thought-showers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: thought-showers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
this is how 'thought-showers' works

In reply to: thought-showers?

Before the shower each person brings a small idea, which should preferably related to the project, in several folders and fastening each folder with several pieces tape.

the shower start playing some music. Pass the folders around to each shower guest in turn while the music is being played,

Every so often turn the music off for a few seconds and then a few seconds later restart it.
When the music stops, the executive who is holding the folders must open the folders as fast as one can before the music restarts. When the music does restart the executive continue to pass the folders around.

The executive who actually happens to reveals the contents of one of the folders when the music stops playing is the idea the company will use.

btw I was under the impression 'nit-picking' came from picking head lice?

Collapse -
Cindi, at the risk of not being PC, I'd think

that epileptics would be thrilled someone other than them was having a brainstorm!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) who's "thought shower" was this???

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) more like brain-piddle. ;-)

Collapse -
If teh idea makes money...

is it a "golden shower"?

This is a stupid term. They need to brainstorm another.

Collapse -
Maybe I have a dirty mind ...

In reply to: If teh idea makes money...

... but the notion of "golden showers" sprung to mind with Cindi's subject title!

PC run amok!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
you sure do.....

In reply to: Maybe I have a dirty mind ...

it was obvious to me that Cindis post would be about an imaginary bar of soap and J-Lo....

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Chuckle ;-)

In reply to: you sure do.....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's the visual I got Jonah

In reply to: you sure do.....

Collapse -
Does that mean their brains leak?

I can just see the streams of ideas flowing out until their brains are empty. Ooops! These are civil servants. Their brains may have been ......

Devil

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 'manila'? as in envelopes?? are they crazy???

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The result of a thought-fart

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Eeeeeewwwww!!!

In reply to: (NT) The result of a thought-fart

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!