Speakeasy forum

General discussion

thought for the day

by Mark5019 / March 1, 2007 9:23 AM PST

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: thought for the day
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: thought for the day
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) The day has thoughts? ;-)
by caktus / March 2, 2007 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: thought for the day
Collapse -
As I understand it, the American Indians
by Steven Haninger / March 2, 2007 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: thought for the day

or Native Americans....whichever is preferred....did not believe that people could own land but that the land owned the people on it and would allow them to stay only if they were good stewards of it. They had no understanding of greed for property or abuse of it. That was evil and would come back to haunt. I think they are largely correct. Happy

Collapse -
I've heard that before...
by J. Vega / March 2, 2007 9:54 AM PST

I've heard that line about them not believing that people could own land before, but it always puzzled me. I seem to remember accounts in historical studies of some tribes getting quite violent towards members of other tribes when they encroached on their territory.

Collapse -
Perhaps, as with all of us humans
by Steven Haninger / March 2, 2007 10:12 AM PST

what we profess to believe in and what we sometimes practice are at odds. I have also read that tribal wars could be quite brutal...far worse than those who came from Europe were accustomed to which were sometimes more a ceremony or spectator sport than savagery personified. I suppose Native American spirituality had it's variants. As for squabbles over land, I doubt it was for prime commercial real estate so much as for food, water, and shelter. They did learn to trade among the tribes. For instance, flint for arrowhead making was only found in a few places and was a valued commodity.

Collapse -
Also, Stephen...
by J. Vega / March 2, 2007 11:38 AM PST

Also, Stephen, they could get quite upset when someone entered "sacred" areas. The Black Hills comes to mind. Unfortunately in that case, word of gold there spread and the rush was on. The eventual outcome there, as well as in other areas, was inevitable as basically it was a conflict between cultures at the stone age level of technology against ones having industrial age technology.

Collapse -
Good point
by Steven Haninger / March 2, 2007 8:24 PM PST
In reply to: Also, Stephen...

It seems animals fight over food, mating rights or to protect their young and "family" members. Humans fight over honor and protection of tradition as well. Conflicts among animals happen and are over in an instant but between humans they can last for thousands of years. Sad

Collapse -
The tribe owned an area for hunting, etc.
by Diana Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 4:02 AM PST

As for stewards, heard of them driving buffalo off cliffs and then just picking the choicest parts and leaving the rest.

Diana

Collapse -
I saw a show on TV recently
by Dragon / March 4, 2007 4:47 AM PST

about the first "Americans". Does anybody wonder what happened to the largest animals in N America? People the first people here, killed them -- all but the buffalo.

Collapse -
TV Show?
by taboma / March 4, 2007 1:48 PM PST

?Dragon, The bears are still around.

A bear walks into a bar in Billings,Montana and sits down.
He bangs on the bar with his paw and demands a beer.

The bartender approaches and says, "We don't serve beer to bears in bars in Billings."

The bear, becoming angry, demands again that he be served a beer.

The bartender tells him again, more forcefully,

"We don't serve beer to belligerent bears in bars in Billings."

The bear, very angry now, says, "If you don't serve me a beer, I'm going to eat that lady sitting at the
end of the bar."

The bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve beer to belligerent, bully bears in bars in Billings"

The bear goes to the end of the bar, and, as promised, eats the woman. He comes back to his seat and again demands a beer.

The bartender states, "Sorry, we don't serve beer to belligerent, bully bears in bars in Billings who are on drugs."

The bear says, "I'm NOT on drugs."

The bartender says, "You are now.

That was a barbitchyouate

-Kevin

Collapse -
(NT) Groan :-)
by Steven Haninger / March 5, 2007 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: TV Show?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.