Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Those who constantly accuse people of shifting every thread to inappropriate political attacks...

by Dan McC / April 23, 2004 3:40 AM PDT

will be disgusted at this example. Not just any thread, but one that should have been dedicated to higher goals than insulting those with different political views.

It's not the political disagreement but the use of a fallen soldier to launch into it that is so egregious.

Am I being self righteous in this case? Perhaps. But that does not make the behavior I'm objecting to any less nauseating.

Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Those who constantly accuse people of shifting every thread to inappropriate political attacks...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Those who constantly accuse people of shifting every thread to inappropriate political attacks...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Those who constantly accuse people of shifting every thread to inappropriate political attacks...

I'm glad you saw it this way too. And unfortunately it moved me to respond in a nasty way to the post. I apologize

Collapse -
That was nasty?

Mary Kay,

Is it perhaps a consideration that you are way too nice a person to be in any way associated with the likes of us?

Wink

Dan

Collapse -
Those who actually READ it will be disgusted by this post of yours...

as there was NOTHING political in my post unless you use your imagination to stretch the meaning out of the words.

You are not being self rightous Dan you are being a bore.

Collapse -
Re:Those who actually READ it will be disgusted by this post of yours...

Strange how that works. A person who is a bore causes you to reply.

Interesting.

Collapse -
Stretching
"... unless you use your imagination to stretch the meaning out of the words." - Edward O'Daniel

Don't have to be very strong to stretch it though to realize what you meant Ed...
Collapse -
Point and Counterpoint

What could be more like the old
Point and Counterpoint" is more like the Saturday Night version. ("Jane, you ignorant....")

The guys on Crossfire get in some good barbs, then have dinner together. They can accept that they are politically poles apart, but that it takes more than politics to make the man.

If I said that the present administration has more direct ties to oil than any in history, I would be called anti-administration.

If I went further and said that as an environmentalist I question how much interest there is in alternative fuels, and do not support drilling on the North Slope, I would be called, at best, a mush-brained idiot.

If I said that I supported the Brady Bill, but don't want a gun for myself, I figure the responding thread would reach well over 100, because I just don't understand, and I want to take their guns away.

If I said I wished a coalition had been in place before invading Iraq, as it was prior to the Gulf War, I would be called unpatriotic.

If I said how strongly I support our military, I would be called a bloody war monger.

If I said that I have read very little good political debate here, rather mostly degrading the opponent, I would be called self righteous.

So, I'll save the trouble...

Angeline, you ignorant ....
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Lordy, lordy Dan.......

Did you make a mistake in giving the right "this example". It was Josh who made it political as everyone can plainly see. Why is it that you and others don't make any reference to what Josh said. I can understand that some give him preference because he is a Mod and has certain beliefs, but it mainly appears to me that you in particular ignore what Josh said as regards to your statement, "..shifting every thread to inappropriate political attacks...". Perhaps it is because of Josh's well known political unhappiness with Pres Bush and the Republican party that coincides with your same political dislikes.

Gee, where is DaveK who has made no comments about ..shifting threads to political attacks...:p Happy

Collapse -
I think Josh is....
by James Denison / April 24, 2004 3:30 AM PDT

...actually a Republican in training. He's moving to NC, so maybe that will speed up the process.

Collapse -
Me become a Republican?
by Josh K / April 29, 2004 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: I think Josh is....

I guess it's possible. But I guess it's also possible that through the process of (dare I use the word) evolution, pigs will one day sprout wings and fly.

Wink

Collapse -
Anything is possible. I even heard rumors that
by James Denison / April 29, 2004 1:51 PM PDT

Al Franken's mother moved down to Palm Beach in Florida and shortly after was voting for Pat Buchanan.

Collapse -
And If she had, James...
by J. Vega / April 29, 2004 2:46 PM PDT

And if she had passed on James, She would have voted the straight Democratic ticket (grin).

Collapse -
LOL!
by James Denison / April 29, 2004 3:02 PM PDT

I wonder if Al's fingerprints would have been on the punchcard. I'll bet she's voting absentee ballot all the time now.

Collapse -
No, No, James!
by J. Vega / April 29, 2004 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: LOL!

No, No, James. The absentee ballot routine is for things like Indian Reservations, "assistance" at nursing homes and the like. Registering non-citizens and other ineligibles is a different thing. Get with the program, will you. If you need help, call Chicago and mention the name Daley. Remember now, it's the Republicans who have the "machine".

Collapse -
I respectfully disagree
by Josh K / April 25, 2004 9:28 AM PDT

IMO the thread was policitized in the second paragraph in this post, which precedes mine.

Collapse -
One additional note
by Josh K / April 25, 2004 9:41 AM PDT

I realize my post was the first to mention a political candidate, but it was not for political reasons. It was to point out the fact that although Ed was complaining about "blame fixing," he's engaged in it himself (for political purposes), and IMO in a particularly offensive way.

Collapse -
And somewhere therein...
by James Denison / April 25, 2004 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: One additional note

...lies the reason I didn't get involved in that thread, regretting getting involved in this one. Arguing over dead men's bones. I don't like dead soldiers being politicized by either side, but if history is our teacher, we are doomed to repeat the same. If someone wants to use their bodies to make some statement, then let it be their families. The rest of us should back off.

Collapse -
Re:And this isn't embarrassing?
by Glenda / April 25, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

Apologize for the repeats Sad Kinda forgot and C&P'd the same one a few times! But I think the general idea is still there! Now where is the apology to Jonah?
Glenda

Collapse -
Sorry Dan, I don't see a political attack. It seems like a general comment.

To be honest, I think you're the one who is attacking.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.