Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Those evil rich.....

by C1ay / July 3, 2011 4:20 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Those evil rich.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Those evil rich.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also, the interns
by TONI H / July 3, 2011 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Those evil rich.....

if I remember correctly all got their student loans erased so you have to count in that money, too, if it isn't part of that figure. That figure also doesn't factor in the health care and other benefits (pensions and perks) which could actually put them into the '$200K-$250K' marker that would make them pay more in the BO agenda.

Collapse -
RE: if I remember correctly
by JP Bill / July 3, 2011 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Also, the interns

if I remember correctly all got their student loans erased

Obama laid out a new student loan program in his 2010 State of the Union address where those who choose a career in public service (working for the government) get special treatment over those who enter the private sector. "Let's tell another 1 million students that when they graduate, they will be required to pay only 10% of their income on student loans, and all of their debt will be forgiven after 20 years, and forgiven after 10 years if they choose a career in public service.

Erased/forgiven AFTER 10 years?

Service to their country, learning about team work, working with others..What's wrong with that?

Collapse -
More info
by TONI H / July 3, 2011 5:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Average pay though
by TONI H / July 3, 2011 9:42 AM PDT

for new enlistments into the military is almost poverty level, plus they have to pay for their own uniforms, boots, coats, etc. Derek is required to have four different uniform types in his collection to the tune of well over $1500. If you take into consideration weight losses and/or gains and uniform replacements, military could easily replace uniforms two or three times in a short period of time.

Collapse -
and here I thought we were talking about
by JP Bill / July 3, 2011 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Average pay though

forgiving student loans, (and applying the rules fairly) Not how much it cost to "live".

Does he have to pay for a room when he's at sea?

What are his utility bills when at sea?

Collapse -
The Lady Samia and I once figured out...
by Paul C / July 4, 2011 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Average pay though

...that we spent somewhere in the area of $15,000 each during the 20 years we spent in the Air Force on uniforms. When new uniforms were introduced, we of course had to purchase them. The real travesty in all this was that because we received a "clothing allowance" (at the time I retired in 1990, less than $10.00/month), uniforms were considered by the IRS as "employer provided clothing." Therefore, the cost of staying properly dressed - which far exceeded our annual compensation for that purpose - was not deductible.

This lament has been around for a long time, Toni.

Collapse -
Military clothing allowance...
by J. Vega / July 9, 2011 4:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ah..yes!...and the women get more.
by Steven Haninger / July 9, 2011 5:08 AM PDT

Shoulda' figured that. Wink

Collapse -
The IRS is good at excluding deductions
by Diana Forum moderator / July 9, 2011 4:52 AM PDT

I remember the airline stewardesses complaining that they couldn't deduct their girdles even though they were required by the airlines and weren't worn when they weren't working.

Diana

Collapse -
Any union worth being called so ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 9, 2011 4:56 AM PDT

had required the airlines to give them a yearly supply big enough for 2 years. Sorry to see unions aren't that popular and powerful in the USA.

Kees

Collapse -
You're speaking of small change when Bush spent trillions
by Ziks511 / July 3, 2011 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: More info

I don't understand you guys. You can't pay for the deficit or the debt without tax reform. No standards at all for your guy, strict confining standards for a Democrat who inherited the worst economic disaster since FDR took over after Hoover, who tried to tie FDR's hands before he, Hoover, left office. FDR declined, Hoover took this as a vast insult and sulked for years. What kind of idiot goes to the guy newly elected and says, "I've got an agreement here, you can't do anything to relieve the Depression that I haven't done." Roosevelts way of getting along was to say "Yes" meaning, I understand, not, I agree. Then Hoover went out thinking that he had an agreement and when it was drawn up FDR refused to sign it because it would have tied his hands completely. It would have made him a Republican. From "Traitor to his Class" on FDR by H.W.Brands. Random House, 2008

Rob The quotation is an imaginary one which captures what Hoover was trying to do and how the misunderstanding between himself and FDR arose. It's a lot shorter than copying out the section of the book, but if you read the book, you will find it is an accurate characterization of Hoover's attitudes and FDR's actions.

Collapse -
You've overlooked this answer
by TONI H / July 3, 2011 5:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Remember that Texas offers tuition free University Education
by Ziks511 / July 4, 2011 2:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Also, the interns

owing to 19th Century legislation using the revenue from public lands. Fortunately they didn't know about the Oil they were about to discover on public lands. Now that makes sense. The Texas economy has been very well served by all those educated by the system.

Rob

Collapse -
Texas does....
by J. Vega / July 4, 2011 2:59 PM PDT

Texas does? I thought at the University of Texas tuition was $5,369 to $4,832 a semester and at Texas A&M tuition was $8,419 per semester. Am I misinformed?

Collapse -
(NT) Things may have changed since I was in University, free then
by Ziks511 / July 12, 2011 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Texas does....
Collapse -
That's almost $82,000 per person
by Diana Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 4:40 AM PDT

Where do I signup?

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) No more than Middle Class.
by Ziks511 / July 12, 2011 10:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
Seems the President is tackling the huge wage bill then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 4:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Information from previous years...
by J. Vega / July 3, 2011 6:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
I tried to add up all the entries which didn't include the
by Ziks511 / July 3, 2011 8:51 AM PDT

$190K. It overloaded my calculator, and so I don't have a total for the Bush Admin. Sorry, I tried. It certainly looks like more than $37million, but I may be wrong.

Rob

Collapse -
You are.....
by C1ay / July 3, 2011 5:17 PM PDT

it comes to $33,193,021. I think perhaps you should have a talk with whomever told you to use the calculator that way. That figure shouldn't overload any 8 digit calculator going back to the '60s.

Collapse -
$81,765.34 each. Doesn't sound out of line to me.
by Ziks511 / July 3, 2011 8:35 AM PDT

This would be more persuasive if you compared it to the last year of Bush's Administration. Or did I miss understand your figures. Frankly for people of the calibre of Clinton, Geithner, and everyone else it sounds pretty cheap to me.

Roib

Collapse -
(NT) Do you honestly believe that Geithner is high caliber?
by TONI H / July 3, 2011 9:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
We are still talking about student loans
by TONI H / July 3, 2011 5:14 PM PDT

Military personnel get their college paid for by the taxpayers as a way to make up for their extremely low paychecks compared to staffers and interns at the WH. However, when Heather (Derek's wife) went to college in CA for her nursing degree, she and Derek paid out of pocket for that...nothing was forgiven. The only way HIS college money transfers to his wife or children is if he dies while serving or once he retires if he doesn't use it personally.

And no...his wife pays their utility bills while he's at sea out of his paycheck now that she's a stay-at-home mom. What they are is none of your business.

Collapse -
RE: We are still talking about student loans
by JP Bill / July 3, 2011 8:13 PM PDT

NO you started talking about the expenses your son has.

and I was talking about "he/himself paying for the utilities HE uses while at sea, and his quarters/food" free room and board while at sea.

Does that makeup for the money he pays for uniforms?

EVERYONE has expenses...IF you want to start adding personal expenses into the equation when calculating "how much people should repay when the get a student loan"

AND IF they get married is another can of worms that should not affect the amount be repaid.

I always hated it when I was in the military when a married person got perks I, as a single person, did not receive.

Collapse -
No...YOU
by TONI H / July 3, 2011 8:28 PM PDT

brought the military into it with your post above mine stating that 'student loans' applied to the military. I was pointing out that the military doesn't GET student loans just because they serve the government. They get their college for free as an enlistment incentive...and that money doesn't require a payback. They either use it or transfer it later or lose it entirely. AND the reason they get it for free is because they get paid so little and have so many expenses that aren't covered by the Pentagon budget anymore. Not so with staffers and interns who get their student loans forgiven if they continue in government service....in ANY capacity, and with so many different departments and lists to choose from, they have the ability to bounce around long enough to cover that....

When you tally up the total amount that staffers and interns actually make, and include all of the benefits, their 'salary' is alot higher than what the original post shows. If everyone has expenses, then the staffers and interns should also have to repay their OWN student loans like everyone else and not have the benefit of having it all forgiven just because they get first crack at moving around for ten years within the government that others don't get considered for because the government is inclined to 'hire from within' even if someone doesn't have the qualifications for that position.

Collapse -
Strange, I though tthe topic was about
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: No...YOU

the White House wage bill

Mark

Collapse -
Correct
by TONI H / July 3, 2011 8:39 PM PDT

but that wage bill didn't seem to include all the extra benefits that staffers and interns get, and yet those benefits also increase our debt and should have been included.

Collapse -
Assuming
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 8:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Correct

that those, "extra benefits" existed under previous regimes, I see little point in isolating those as in any way special.

In fact it seems to me the whole tone of the top post was to show how this current administration has let the WH wage bill run away uncontrollably. Indeed it was offered as a point of discussion;

"For that kind of money I'd think America could get a little more administrative competency for our money than what we've seen under this administration. What do you think?".

Since it also seems to me that the current wage bill is not significantly more than the previous administration's was, and may even be less, I have to wonder why it has been raised at all as a continuing slight against this administration.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.