Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Those annoying pop-up ads, holdouts

by BobKivoski / September 17, 2005 5:25 AM PDT

Dell L667r, win98 2nd, dial up
I have dilligently followed all suggestions to eleminate pop-up ads and most have dissapeared. But, there are a few that persist, even offline. A couple are at start up and the "reclining lady" is once or twice during computer online use. I know they are files on my computer, any suggestions on where to look and what to look for? Thanks, Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Those annoying pop-up ads, holdouts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Those annoying pop-up ads, holdouts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you are
by PudgyOne / September 17, 2005 8:12 PM PDT

If you are getting pop-ups when you are offling, then I do believe you have spyware on your computer.

As for all people you should have good virus protection. Norton slows down your computer(if you have an older one) whereas AVG FREE or AVAST do not.

Also you need to have measures to stop spyware from getting into your computer. you can get C W Shredder to help remove some and you can also use SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY. Another good spyware remover is AD AWARE and one that stops spyware from getting into your computer is SPYWARE BLASTER. Then when all else fails you can get HIJACKTHIS.

If you use all these tools it will not elminate spyware from getting into your computer, but it will help. Some spyware gets into your computer using the Macromedia Flash player. If you feel that you still might have spyware in your computer, then you can go to PANDA ACTIVESCAN and do an online scan. You can also go to TREND MICRO to do another online scan.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
Pop Ups
by taboma / September 18, 2005 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: If you are

Rick, good info for the PC user. Glad I have a Mac!

For the poster:
When on-line, and general use, download Firefox browser from Mozilla.com.
Works with PC and Mac.
E-mail is called Thunderbird from Mozilla.com
Use the browser that most are switching to.
Just great. You can control pop-ups, while on-line.

Off-line, Rick told you about that and how to deal with those problems.

Good-by pop-ups. Hello Firefox.
Good-by Microsoft Internet Explorer??R.I.P.

Kevin

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / September 19, 2005 3:41 AM PDT
I have dilligently followed all suggestions to eleminate pop-up ads and most have dissapeared.

I've used Win98FE since the day M$ offered the OS for sale and now with MSIE v6.0SP1 and I have few popups which mainly are those sites which have advertisements that nothing can cure anyway. Nothing whatsoever is run resident except a clean OS and a clean IE with only the Acrobat PDF (Browser Helper Object) installed.

I highly suggest that PudgyOne's suggestions contained in the third and the forth paragraphs only be used periodically and nothing else however. I don't suggest that those free utilities are going to eradicate everything you may allow on the box and you may as well get geared up now to do some manual removal of items which cannot be removed by anything but you.

When you start sticking to much on Win9x, you soon don't have a box to play with since it want work or if it does you want be satisfied.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!