HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

This site is a must!

by Echo2 / October 25, 2004 7:20 AM PDT

Hey Everybody:

I've got a great heads up for you all. There is a site which offers free analysis diagnostics and benchmarking for your computer. It also provides analysis of your secutity configuration. PC Pitstop is free, fast and thorough. No harm will come to your PC. When problems are detected, they show you how to fix them. Many of the problems detected can be fixed automatically at their website.
The site offers a wealth of information and product links all designed to keep your system healthy and safe.
Check it out at : http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This site is a must!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This site is a must!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) This message is SPAM, SPAM, SPAM
by Steven Haninger / October 25, 2004 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: This site is a must!
Collapse -
Re: (NT) This message is not SPAM, SPAM, SPAM
by Echo2 / October 25, 2004 5:24 PM PDT

Hey Steven!

I am sorry you feel that way. PC Pitstop is not spam. PC Pitstop is free for everyone. You can test anonymously if you choose. I have never received any email from them whatsoever. In fact these guys are the opposite of spam. They are involved in legal action agaist Gator. They provide a great support forum dealing with everything from PC maintenance to the basics of PC security. PC Pitstop offers
solid products from their sponsors, all of whom are above board, for example Registry Mechanic and Diskeeper. They even offer a good system maintenance suite of their own at an affordable price. All of which is voluntary and non-invasive.
I only suggested the site to you (meaning everyone)because I thought it would help.

Collapse -
by luxx / October 25, 2004 9:20 PM PDT

I agree with Steven. You obviously work for or are related to that website. You are providing non-solicited advertisement: spam.

luxx.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / October 26, 2004 12:31 AM PDT

SPAM ? with just one post ? It is SPAM if the same post is made to all the forums How do you know TopGun is not just sharing ?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why is that so ?
by Papa Echo / October 25, 2004 6:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Why is that so ?
by Echo2 / October 25, 2004 6:30 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Why is that so ?

Hey Papa Echo!

Why is what so?

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 25, 2004 7:08 PM PDT

Top Gun,

If you look at the tree list of posts below, you will see that Papa Echo's reply was to Steven Haninger's post, not yours.

He was asking why your original post should be considered as spam.

Mark

Collapse -
by Steven Haninger / October 26, 2004 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Why is that so ?

The problem I saw was in the presentation of the message. It reads clearly like an advertisement/infomercial. I have seen these come and go and the MODs purge the obvious ones. It's not possible to really read into the posters intentions. I could well err in that regard and can only offer apology if I am mistaken. To me, it reads like spam with all the hype. If the site was recommended in the body of a reply message rather than as posted, it would have a completely different appearance as most posts here are Qs and As. No offense meant to anyone.

Collapse -
I'll reserve my comments
by AussiePete / October 25, 2004 6:34 PM PDT

TopGun,
I came across this site ages ago and stopped using it - cant remember why though - i have a suspicion it was because of spyware - but will give it another go and let you know.
Regardless one has to be careful of letting things through the firewall - from what I understand it's great way of 3rd parties being able to "piggy back" their way to ones computer.
Peter

Collapse -
To Aussie Pete - Top Gun!
by Echo2 / October 25, 2004 6:54 PM PDT

Hey Aussie Pete!

I respect your concern about the adware and the disabling of your firewall. Please note that PC Pitstop does not require that you disable your firewall. It only cautions that some firewalls, notably Zone Alarm and Norton, can be problematic and may have to be disabled to run the tests. I have acheived the same results with my firewall disabled as I have when it was enabled during the tests.
As far as spyware is concerned, I haven't had any problems. In fact, they use Pest Patrol to scan your PC for scumware.
However, I will defer to your personal experience and
impression of PC Pitstop.

Best,

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I've tested it - give it 3/10 - its a toy!
by AussiePete / October 25, 2004 11:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: This site is a must!
by Papa Echo / October 25, 2004 8:36 PM PDT

I have used that site on several occassions. It is an interesting site, but I can't say it is a 'must have'. I used that site for 'bench marking' as when I purchased a new computer, to see 'what' I have got, compared with others. The site checks your hardware and devices, running processes, disk health, internet connection speed etc. and tell you how many points you have. It also informs you what potential problems you have, and offer solutions. As TopGun said, check it out !

Collapse -
Re: This site is a must!
by rankinfile / October 27, 2004 1:50 AM PDT

I've used this site several times and have never had a problem with spyware or adware. I think it's good to use it to benchmark your PC from time to time (like when you upgrade).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.