Desktops forum

General discussion

This question is older than dirt..

by angrykeyboarder / March 2, 2006 9:18 PM PST

and regardless of when you buy, something better will come along within a few months. That's the way computer technology goes (and it's actually slowed somewhat in the past several years).

There's always something new on the horizon...something coming along in the next 2-6 months.

As the smart folks have said here, buy when you want to buy. If you need a new computer now, buy it.

I promise you that no matter what comes out in the next year or so, you'll get several years of enjoyment out of the computer you get.

If you spend the money for a higher-end box, you can often upgrade as needed later on and extend the life even more (new hard drives, more RAM, Video Card, TV card etc...).

On the other hand if your needs are pretty basic (i.e. you're not a gamer or pro/high-end graphics/video work) you can get a mid-to low end box and then just replace the whole thing in a few years.

I tend to go (close to) high-end and keep my computers for 4-5 years before replacing them. When I say "high end" I mean something like the top-of-the-line boxes from Dell, Gateway, HP or what have you. I actually got a "gaming box" (even though I'm not a gamer) from ABS Computers which cost roughly the same as the top-of-the-line models from the other guys.

But don't wait. Just get it now. As I said you'll always miss out on something no matter when you buy.

Me, I missed out on PCI Express by about 8 weeks..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This question is older than dirt..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This question is older than dirt..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I agree
by Alan Copeland / March 2, 2006 11:00 PM PST

Someone here, I think it was Robert Proffitt, once stated that you should buy a couple of notches below the top-end state of the art machine for the best return on your investment. It's kind of like waiting till you can afford it to start a family-you will never start one.

Collapse -
Agreed as well...
by angrykeyboarder / March 3, 2006 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: I agree

I bought one or two notches below the top of the (mainstream) line myself. I didn't get the fastest CPU or Graphics card, but I got more than sufficient and saved several hundred by doing so.

But honestly for those who do little more than some word processing, web surfing and editing of photos taken with thier digital camera, excellent computers can be had for as little as $600 or 700.00. I was looking at that price range for my mom recently and was blown away by what it buys (about 5X the computer I had previously to be specific).

On the other hand you can get yourself a lovely box from Voodoo with

Radically Different Design
Features best of ATX and BTX form factor!
Performance Tuned Athlon FX
Performance Tuned SLi Video
Brushed Anodized & Machined Chassis
Voodoo f:5 Supercharged Intercooling
Worlds Fastest & Quietest Production PC
Built to ISO9000:2001 Standards
10"(W) X 23"(D) X 18"(H)
OMEN Gold
Allure Finish

Voodoo OMEN Elemental PC
Voodoo Performance and Stability Re-Engineering
Voodoo Renowned Cabling System
Voodoo Disaster Recovery System II
Voodoo EDGE Mousing Surface
Voodoo Koeskin System Binder
Free VoodooPC T-Shirt
IS09001:2000 Quality Control Standards
Voodoo MAGA Aluminium Chassis
Voodoo Illuminated Mask & Airbox
Eye of the Storm and Electric Veins
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
Voodoo Stealth 650 Watt Modular Silent Power Supply
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
Voodoo OMEN Supercharged Intercooler
Purple Voodoo super coolant
2 GiG Corsair 3500LL Pro Memory Kit
500 GiG HGST Sata 7200 RPM
OMEN Molded Digital Card Reader
Pioneer Dual Layer 16X DVD+-RW
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 512 SS
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 512 SS
Voodoo OMEN On-Board Audio + Chipset H20 Cooling
Voodoo OMEN Metal Travel Box with wheels
Complimentary 1st Class Worldwide Shipping
Microsoft Media Center 2005
FUEL Software Essentials v2.0
Intelligent LCD Display MX233
1 Year Voodoo Desktop Warranty Policy

Fpr LESS than $15,000.00 (Yes that's Fifteen Thousand Dollars).

Collapse -
The only thing faster than that one
by Alan Copeland / March 3, 2006 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Agreed as well...

is the light meter it's running on.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I place my bet on OPC
by ikjadoon / March 3, 2006 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: Agreed as well...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?