Speakeasy forum

General discussion

This is worth watching and it's a....

by Jack Ammann / April 1, 2006 11:28 PM PST

...whole lot more wholesome than that Sharon Stone post.

Apparently half the world is watching this daily. This is live streaming video of an eagle?s nest on Hornby Island. There are two eggs in the nest and on occasion the eagle pair alternate the parental duties of keeping the eggs warm. If you choose to do so you will be able to witness the chicks hatching. Some very dedicated people have went to a lot of trouble to position a camera and provide continuous power to video all day every day. Apparently when night comes and the light is lost they replay that days video until the following morning so they obviously have remote control of the system.
It is a rare sight to get up close to an eagles nest at the best of times, here you can watch for baby eagles with a cup of java in hand. Enjoy. Neil

Just click on the site below and Media Player will come up, (it may take a few minutes to load) In the upper right corner you can select full or reduced screen. The quality will vary based on your choice but in general the quality is very good, rain drops are clearly visible on the eagles back at times. The eagle changes position fairly often, the activity varies and some times the shot is not as good as others, the blink of the eye is very obvious. This is a closeup look at how God provides for one little part of our universe.

mms://lastream001.galaxytelevision.net/hh001

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This is worth watching and it's a....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This is worth watching and it's a....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The link shows up in the post as a non-clickable link. But..
by Jack Ammann / April 1, 2006 11:36 PM PST

...I connected and made it work by copying and pasting it into an IE page and hit ENTER.

Collapse -
This is wonderful, Jack
by MarciaB / April 1, 2006 11:59 PM PST

Thank you for finding and sharing this.

I plan to keep a shortcut handy to keep an eye on things.

What fun Happy

--Marcia

Collapse -
This to me is just plain...
by Jack Ammann / April 2, 2006 12:23 AM PST

...incredible. If we "keep an eye on things"...LOL...we'll be able to see the eggs being hatched. Ever' now and then, the eagle makes "gruntin'" noises. And I translated that into English. I think Eagles "mate" for life and each share in the household chores of the nest. So I translated the "grunts" of the Eagle that's in the nest into calling the mate..."Hey, get your butt in here and sit on these eggs awhile"....LOL

Collapse -
Thanks for the link,Jack........
by Tony Holmes / April 2, 2006 3:04 AM PDT

reminds me of a situation my daughter is in,here in North Jersey.

The New Jersey Fish and Wildlife management paid her a visit last year and informed her there was a nesting pair living in the easement behind her property.They monitor the nest but gave her the number of who to call if she sees anything at all going on at the site.They explained if anything happened to either mate,the remaining one abandons the nest and any chicks in it,that's where F&W would step in to rescue any chicks.
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~sg96d363/

The backyard of her house is huge and is bordered on two sides by the largest reservoir in North Jersey.There's an even bigger easement that starts where her property ends and the nest is located in one of the tall trees in the easement.Fish and Game told her the eagles chose the site because of the plentiful food source(reservoir).

There's only two ways to the nest,through her yard and that involves getting past trained Dobies or from the reservoir itself which is prohibited by Homeland Security since 9/11(they've paid a visit too)..lol.

She says it's impossible to see what if anything is going on in the nest due to her vantage point,just that it's a rush to be able to see those huge,beautiful birds once in a while.

Collapse -
LOL Good caption, Jack
by MarciaB / April 2, 2006 4:47 AM PDT

I have shared this with Michael and Kelton. When I first showed it to Kelton, and he had watched it for a few seconds, he said, "OK, Mom, when does the scary guy jump into the picture to try and spook me?" It took some convincing to reassure him that it was for real! LOL Grin

We have lots and lots of Bald and Golden Eagles around here, but it is always a treat to see one. This is particularly special because of the nest with eggs.

I haven't tried to find any further info on this yet. Do you know if there are some identifiable features of the male and female birds so I can tell who is sitting on the nest? Also, is there some idea of when the eggs may hatch?

Thanks again,
--Marcia

Collapse -
the male is the one with
by jonah jones / April 2, 2006 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL Good caption, Jack

a remote under one wing and a cold beer under the other

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ROFL & PIMP...That's just toooo funnie, Jonah.
by Jack Ammann / April 2, 2006 5:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well, aren't you just toooooo funny ;)
by MarciaB / April 2, 2006 9:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
Marcia...I had exactly the same thought, and...
by Jack Ammann / April 2, 2006 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL Good caption, Jack

...I couldn't even tell if the mates had switched when I wasn't watching. The Eagle on the nest got up and flew away one time and the mate may have assumed the position about a minute later, but I could not tell any difference between them if they did in fact switch. So to answer your question, I have not a clue...LOL

Collapse -
Thank you, Jack
by MarciaB / April 2, 2006 10:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK Marcia...will do.....LOL
by Jack Ammann / April 2, 2006 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you, Jack
Collapse -
...and by the way, Marcia, I think...
by Jack Ammann / April 2, 2006 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you, Jack

...the Eagles closed the curtains on the nursery this morning. It's 8AM local here right now and it's dark where they are...well, wait a second...where is British Columbia?(BC)...is that on the West coast of Canada. If so, it'd be 2 hours earlier there. I had the idea it was in the East...oh well.

Collapse -
After years of effort...
by Angeline Booher / April 2, 2006 12:43 AM PST

.... in my state, the eagle is back!

About a month ago, a neighbor said that he had seen a couple soaring over the river early mornings.

So, I watched for a couple of mornings, and sure enough, there they were. But only that one morning.

I had never seen an eagle until I visited a place in New Mexico that cares for injured wild life, and one was there. What a beatiful creature!

No wonder it was chosen as our national emblem !!!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
You Jack ....
by Evie / April 2, 2006 3:46 AM PDT

... must be a holier-than-thou prude to even suggest the Sharon Stone post involved less than wholesome content!!

I'm not quite sure when it became acceptable for members to attack other members for expressing opinions opposite of the "whatever feels good goes" POV, but it sure flew in that thread. I remain flabbergasted that there wasn't uninimity of opinion in opposition to the thoughts and actions of Stone discussed in that thread.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i'm sure "thank you Jack" would have sufficed!!
by jonah jones / April 2, 2006 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: You Jack ....
Collapse -
And then again..........
by Glenda / April 2, 2006 4:26 AM PDT

Maybe it wouldn't!

Collapse -
''... must be a holier-than-thou prude"
by John Robie / April 2, 2006 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: You Jack ....

Gee Evie, you must have missed his filthy post that was deleted in the Stone thread. Wink

Collapse -
why me lord, why me? ....:-(
by jonah jones / April 2, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

Windows Media Player Error Message Help

You've encountered error message C00D2F06 while using Windows Media Player. We are investigating the cause of this error. We will post more information about this error when it becomes available.

Collapse -
Jonah, I have WMP v. 10.00.00.3990 and...
by Jack Ammann / April 2, 2006 9:49 AM PDT

I had to do nothing to get it to play. Do you have another player? I copied and pasted the URL into Winamp, v. 5.2.1.497 ...<Play a URL> choice and it also played, but not quite as sharp as WMP. I didn't try Quicktime or Realplayer, but if they have a video component, it should play there as well. I first tried to play this last night and it didn't come up. And then I figgered out it was night...Duh...LOL...no wonder it didn't come up. Actually, it was up, there just wasn't any light. Now I do have broadband and that may have something to do with it playing or not.

Try to get it going and let us know what it took to get it going or what ever you tried and it didn't get going. Hope this helps

Collapse -
i was missing a codec :-(
by jonah jones / April 2, 2006 4:10 PM PDT

the one called "patience"....

it was 'stuck' on 2-4% buffering for so long i assumed it wasn't working, left media player open and came into work this morning and saw a picture of an eagle!!!!!!!!!!!

beeeeeeeeutiful!!!!!

Collapse -
Sometime the operation of my CNet forums are...
by Jack Ammann / April 2, 2006 5:10 PM PDT

...missing those kind of CODEC's...LOL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?