HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

This is reform?

by Dan McC / September 4, 2008 10:52 AM PDT
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-earmarks3-2008sep03,0,2482434.story
But records show that Palin -- first as mayor of Wasilla and recently as governor of Alaska -- was far from shy about pursuing tens of millions in earmarks for her town, her region and her state.

This year, Palin, who has been governor for nearly 22 months, defended earmarking as a vital part of the legislative system. "The federal budget, in its various manifestations, is incredibly important to us, and congressional earmarks are one aspect of this relationship," she wrote in a newspaper column.
Wasilla had received few if any earmarks before Palin became mayor. She actively sought federal funds -- a campaign that began to pay off only after she hired a lobbyist with close ties to Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), who long controlled federal spending as chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee. He made funneling money to Alaska his hallmark.

Steven Silver was a former chief of staff for Stevens. After he was hired, Wasilla obtained funding for several projects in 2002, including an additional $600,000 in transportation funding.

This seems to bring in to serious doubt recent claims by Palin and McCain.

Dan
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This is reform?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This is reform?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Goodness !!!!
by critic411 / September 4, 2008 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: This is reform?

Horrible !! Just Horrible !!!

Collapse -
That's It?..That's all ya' got?
by JP Bill / September 4, 2008 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Goodness !!!!

Come on!

Collapse -
(NT) Alaska gives more to USA than it begs back.
by James Denison / September 4, 2008 11:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not relevent, but I've seen that contradicted.
by Dan McC / September 4, 2008 11:08 AM PDT

Do you have a source for your assertion?

Dan

Collapse -
Oil Pipeline
by James Denison / September 5, 2008 12:28 AM PDT
http://www.alyeska-pipe.com/Default.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Refuge_drilling_controversy

Alaska gives more than it receives. Consider all the oil they export to the other states and each state collecting federal and state takes on it at the pump. That's Alaska oil no matter who is collecting tax and sending it in. Alaska has been hampered and had it's economic development stunted more than any other state in the union by the federal govt. Unbelievably large areas of the state have been kept as federal property, thereby depriving Alaska of it's ability to develop it. If you want exact figures, you'd have to compare the value of each barrel of oil and tax collected on it from all sources from the time of it's pumping to the end consumer, and all that is because Alaska supplied it. Don't forget to add in the fishing industry too. Finally, consider just how much richer Alaska would be if instead of chained to the US as a state, it was instead a separate country and selling oil direct to Canada, US, Russia, and maybe Japan without any congressional controls on it's export. We owe a lot to Alaska, as in past we owed a lot to Texas when it was the major oil producer for America.
Collapse -
They give that oil away?
by Dan McC / September 5, 2008 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Oil Pipeline

That seems unprofitable. They should really consider selling it instead. And the state should collect fees and taxes for the resources. It should take a part of that income and give it to the people of Alaska as a dividend.

That would make more sense than just giving it away.

Hmmm...maybe they're doing that already and are not giving anything to anybody.

Dan

Collapse -
Well, that's exactly what she did! Welcome aboard!!
by James Denison / September 5, 2008 3:35 AM PDT

I knew you'd come around after awhile. Have you gotten the Obama tire gauge yet too? All the settings on mine say 32lb, tells me just what I want to hear, no matter what the actual facts are.

Collapse -
Didn't he also say to get a "tune up"??
by critic411 / September 5, 2008 3:48 AM PDT

When was the last time cars needed tune ups?

Collapse -
RE: When was the last time cars needed tune ups?
by JP Bill / September 5, 2008 3:59 AM PDT

Just before we ALL got new cars?

Collapse -
You're statement is not clear.
by Dan McC / September 5, 2008 4:37 AM PDT

What is exactly what who did?

Dan

Collapse -
That's It?..That's all ya' got? -
by EdHannigan / September 4, 2008 12:08 PM PDT

You were gone long enough to get a BIG load.

Thanks for sliming again. Come back soon and slime some more.

Collapse -
That's your rebuttal?
by Dan McC / September 4, 2008 12:10 PM PDT

Please explain to us how this is slime.

Dan

Collapse -
Didnt you get the memo from the ONE?
by EdHannigan / September 4, 2008 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: That's your rebuttal?

Are you going to spend all the time from now to the election parroting the attacks from the lefty loonie blogs or what?

-chuckle-

Collapse -
It's official. EdH has left the building.
by Dan McC / September 4, 2008 9:50 PM PDT

And he did so without addressing the issue.

Dan

Collapse -
Addressing teh issue?
by EdHannigan / September 4, 2008 10:00 PM PDT

You mean the "edited" and misleading distortion you posted?

Yeeeaaah! Kinda flubbed it there, didn't you?

-chuckle-

Collapse -
(NT) And Ed's not back yet.
by Dan McC / September 5, 2008 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Addressing teh issue?
Collapse -
Stalking me?
by EdHannigan / September 5, 2008 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: And Ed's not back yet.

As you know I am here and I have addressed it. It's BULL. The story (as JJ revealed) was "edited" to give it a negative slant and allow partisan attack dogs like you to use it to smear Palin. Ho hum. Same old same old.

Please try not to post any more such nonsense BS in future. Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) Only if I'm walking backward.
by Dan McC / September 5, 2008 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Stalking me?
Collapse -
God, that was clever!
by EdHannigan / September 5, 2008 1:53 AM PDT

Oops! Sorry for mentioning God. I hope I didn't offend you.

Thanks for NOT addressing what I said in the post.

Collapse -
(NT) Please, Just call me Dan.
by Dan McC / September 5, 2008 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: God, that was clever!
Collapse -
Oh wow, that was even cleverer!
by EdHannigan / September 5, 2008 2:01 AM PDT

Danno.

Collapse -
Does "Dan" provide you with the ability to have
by Kiddpeat / September 5, 2008 3:04 AM PDT

a desire, an opinion, or to want someone to do something? It seems that "god" is unable to have any of those things in your theology.

Collapse -
Could you rephrase that?
by Dan McC / September 5, 2008 3:11 AM PDT

It's an oddly worded question and I'd like to give an answer with a clear understanding of what you mean.

Dan

Collapse -
Wow...
by J. Vega / September 4, 2008 12:50 PM PDT

Wow, it took 3 LA Times staff writers to write that particular article. that's a lot of people to produce 1 fairly short article.
Oh, by the way the portion of it that says:
"This year, Palin, who has been governor for nearly 22 months, defended earmarking as a vital part of the legislative system. 'The federal budget, in its various manifestations, is incredibly important to us, and congressional earmarks are one aspect of this relationship,' she wrote in a newspaper column." took that quote from a response on March 5, 2008 to an Editorial in the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner on March 2, 2008. They clipped just the last line.
You can look it up and see the whole response if you've a mind but here's a part of what they left out:
I am not among those who have said "earmarks are nothing more than pork projects being shoveled home by an overeager congressional delegation." I recognize that Congress, which exercises the power of the purse, has the constitutional responsibility to put its mark on the federal budget, including adding funds that the president has not proposed.
Accordingly, my administration has recommended funding for specific projects and programs when there is an important federal purpose and strong citizen support.
This year, we have requested 31 earmarks, down from 54 in 2007. Of these, 27 involve continuing or previous appropriations and four are new requests. The total dollar amount of these requests has been reduced from approximately $550 million in the previous year to just less than $200 million.
I believe this represents a responsible approach to the changing situation in Congress. Some misinterpret this as criticism of our congressional delegation.
In fact, it responds to messages from the Congressional delegation and the Bush administration. They have told us that the number of earmarks in the federal budget will be reduced and that there must be a strong federal purpose underlying each request.
We have also heard that, wherever possible, earmark requests must be accompanied by a state or local match. So, there are state budget consequences that must be considered as well when we ask for federal help.
There is no inconsistency or hypocrisy between my previous statements concerning earmarks and the recommendations my administration made to the delegation on Feb. 15. Specifically, I said earlier that the state would submit no more than 12 new requests, excluding earmarks for ongoing projects and the Alaska National Guard. Our recommendations are consistent with my previous comments and recognize the new budgetary realities in D.C.

Collapse -
Oh well. A little editing here; a little editing there...
by EdHannigan / September 4, 2008 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Wow...

And the story can say whatever you want it to.

Collapse -
I can just hear...
by J. Vega / September 4, 2008 1:29 PM PDT

I can just hear one of those "little conferences" in the office.
Something like "I put not one, but THREE of you people on a task to dig up dirt, and THIS is all you can come up with?".

Collapse -
They can all blame each other for failing
by Kiddpeat / September 4, 2008 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: I can just hear...

to get the big scoop. In the meantime, it's not too bad to visit Alaska on the newpaper's tab.

Collapse -
More attempted smears?
by Kiddpeat / September 4, 2008 2:51 PM PDT

Don't you get tired of this crap? The lady hit it out of the park. The pathetic attempts to generate smears can't change that. Biden is going to have his hands full trying to hold his own against her.

Collapse -
(NT) What is the smear?
by Dan McC / September 4, 2008 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: More attempted smears?
Collapse -
Creative editing gives it a somewhat negative spin...
by EdHannigan / September 4, 2008 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: What is the smear?

Which is why you posted it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.