Computer Help forum

General discussion

This Is Really Strange

by moranacus / May 19, 2012 6:53 AM PDT

I don't know how or why it did this but I went to download this Altap Salamander program (its like Windows Explorer),
and it called the file Goldwave instead.
When I tried to download the file again it gave it the correct name.
Also, I went to install this Posit Note program from this site and in the middle of installing it it said do I want to halt the installation of Itunes.
Itunes was installed a few days ago.
Itunes did lock up the computer when I installed it but after rebooting the computer it mentioned that the 2 mobile devices that Itunes uses were not installed but I don't have any so I didn't worry about it.
The posit program was called Sticky Notes and it locked up the computer when I tried to install it a few days ago but it installed today when I downloaded it.
This is a new computer, has Windows 7 and a restore to factory settings was done on Monday.
Also, my computer locked up a few days ago after I tried to install the patch for the game Torchlight but it installed after the computer rebooted but sometimes there are sound problems.
For Torchlight can I try to install the patch again????
Hardware tests have been done so it's some type of software conflict. I think it's because I'm using an older version of the Salamander program that says its for Windows NT/95 but I had no problems running it with Windows XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This Is Really Strange
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This Is Really Strange
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: strange
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 19, 2012 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: This Is Really Strange

You might be right about Salamander, or not. Why not uninstall it and try again?

But I don't exclude hardware issues or some other software issue either. Why not do a new Restore to factory settings and try how it works without all those programs installed?

Kees

Collapse -
Trying New
by moranacus / May 19, 2012 4:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: strange

I'm going to try the new version of the Salamander to see if I have any problems.
I have 30 days to try the program.

Collapse -
Also And More Strange
by moranacus / May 20, 2012 2:25 AM PDT

For some reason I couldn't bring up Itunes (no icon and it wasn't listed in remove programs).
Reinstalled it and had no problem.
This is really strange.
I really think it was the old version of salamander causing the program conflicts because I installed
Itunes the first time from a directory that I opened with the old version of Salamander.

Collapse -
I use
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 11:07 PM PDT

the version of Sticky Notes already included in my Win 7 install. Start > All programs > Accessories.

No need for any others.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks But
by moranacus / May 21, 2012 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I use

Thanks for the info but my computer locked up when I tried to use it.
I worked after I rebooted the computer manually but I'm going to use
the program that I found.
Also, is there a reason why any operating system of Windows doesn't
have a manual way to activate the screen saver????

Collapse -
We used to add a short cut or keyboard key for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2012 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks But

But to call Windows an OS tends to get us into rough waters as the OS is what's underneath and the user interface is well, the top layer that we can adjust to do what we want.

Then again I'm running into more users and less folk willing to do the little bit of work to make this do what they want.
Bob

Collapse -
I would add to that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 21, 2012 6:30 AM PDT

If the OP wanted a 'one-click' icon like we used to have in XP and below, then create that shortcut and pin it to the Quick Launch area in the Taskbar.

No need for any keyboard combination then, just click the icon.

Mark

Collapse -
None Listed
by moranacus / May 23, 2012 7:02 AM PDT

I did what it said on the link you provided but no screen savers are listed.
Since I still have problems I ordered some recovery disks to do a recovery
that way now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?