Speakeasy forum

General discussion

This is puzzling and troubling.

by Dan McC / September 17, 2008 9:42 PM PDT
http://www.americablog.com/2008/09/john-mccain-just-forget-where-spain-was.html

McCain had no idea what was going on in the interview. She specifically told him, twice, that she was talking about Spain and the Spanish president. She's a Spanish reporter with one of the largest, if not the largest, newspaper in Spain, El Pais. I know this paper, McCain certainly knows this paper (and it's not like McCain's staff didn't tell him who he had the exclusive interview with for ten minutes). She made it clear she was asking about her own country and her own president and Mccain had no clue what she was talking about.

Dan
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This is puzzling and troubling.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This is puzzling and troubling.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe he was just over tired?
by oldie and goody / September 18, 2008 3:51 AM PDT

wasn't that the excuse for Obama's gaffe?

Collapse -
(NT) mmm, so you admit it was just a gaffe ?
by grimgraphix / September 18, 2008 3:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nope
by oldie and goody / September 18, 2008 4:18 AM PDT

that's what THEY called it, so I thought THEY might be nice enough to claim that excuse for McCain

Collapse -
I forget the gaffe you
by Dan McC / September 18, 2008 6:26 AM PDT

are talking about.

Was he asked the same thing three times in a row without giving a coherent answer?

Dan

Collapse -
There have been so many...
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: I forget the gaffe you

Maybe the one where he referred tot his Muslim faith?

Or maybe the one where he claimed he had been in all 57 states?

Most likely the one where he tried to make a speech without his teleprompter and ended up gibbering like an idiot. I could post the video again if you like.

Or we could go to his books, which are full of misstatements and untruths...

Collapse -
One more troll from Dan.
by Kiddpeat / September 18, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

We all heard McCain's acceptance speech Dan. We've also seen him on the news. A fringe, lefty, liberal blog certainly has not scooped either the media or us. You and your ilk wish that McCain were losing it. I've seen him Danno. He's not losing it.

I've got lots of blogs that definitively describe how bad Obama is. Should I post those to counter balance this crap?

Collapse -
maybe cut the "troll" comments
by jonah jones / September 18, 2008 4:18 AM PDT

and go for the message and not the messenger.....

Collapse -
I don't know, Jonah...
by J. Vega / September 18, 2008 4:24 AM PDT

I don't know about mentioning the message, Jonah. If the message is even a direct quote from somebody's book, like for example, Dreams From My Father, it may have trouble.

Collapse -
you're comparing the collective use of the word
by jonah jones / September 18, 2008 5:17 AM PDT

to describe a goups behaviour with the act of calling someone, directly, a troll

Collapse -
Actually, if you will reread the post, you will see that
by Kiddpeat / September 18, 2008 5:41 AM PDT

I applied the word to the thread, and not to the person.

Collapse -
It's an observation of an activity....
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 5:46 AM PDT

not calling anyone anything.

Collapse -
But he's been doing it incessantly
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 5:05 AM PDT

A thing should be called by its proper name.

Collapse -
(NT) Oh, now we drop the Political Correctness ?
by grimgraphix / September 18, 2008 5:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
You are making no sense...
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 5:12 AM PDT

as usual.

Collapse -
Well, whenever I have accused you of trolling...
by grimgraphix / September 18, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

... you were always the first to hit the mod alert button and point out to everyone that even using the term was a TOS offense... yet here you are saying that we should use that same term because it is calling the case what it is.

Maybe I was wrong. Thats not PC... that's just a double standard.

I get confused... what with the reading problems and what not.

Wink

Collapse -
Okay, you can go away now.
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 5:22 AM PDT

A thing is what it is. Even you should have some dim awareness of that.

Byeeeee.

Collapse -
(NT) Don't you hate it when your past catches up with you?
by grimgraphix / September 18, 2008 5:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hasn't happened to me...
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 5:38 AM PDT

What's it like?

Collapse -
Why not just
by Dan McC / September 18, 2008 6:30 AM PDT

delete the post since it was a personal attack?

Dan

Collapse -
you should post them
by oldie and goody / September 18, 2008 4:20 AM PDT

however they will be deleted or locked on sight

Collapse -
That's the problem. Many have been deleted.
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: you should post them

Not that I care. Just noting the truth.

No one is fooled. Disappear for months then come back and troll daily. HA!

The election will soon be over, then... back into the woodwork they go!

Collapse -
Disappear for months, then back and troll daily ?
by grimgraphix / September 18, 2008 6:34 AM PDT

Ha HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA Ha Ha Ha HA HA HA HA HA HAA HAAAAAA HA Ha Ha HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA Ha Ha Ha HA HA HA HA HA HAA HAAAAAA HA Ha hee hee hee,,, wow hee hee... wah... hold on... hold on... give me a second to catch my breath....

wow... wow... I just read this...

wow... hee hee, oh my goodness, thanks for the laugh there Ed.

Collapse -
You have no idea what you're laughing at, do you...
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 6:50 AM PDT

Lights on; nobody home.

Collapse -
There's a YouTube link to the actual interview
by Josh K / September 18, 2008 4:22 AM PDT

Click the link in the original post and then scroll down. You can then judge for yourself.

And once again, KP, posting something you personally disagree with is not "trolling."

Collapse -
More on this.
by Dan McC / September 18, 2008 6:29 AM PDT
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/18/mccain_slights_spanish_prime_m.html#more

Zapatero is a center-left politician, but McCain has suggested that as president he would seek to repair relations that have been badly frayed in Europe during Bush's tenure. In an early-April interview with a reporter from Spanish newspaper El Pais, McCain said, "This is the moment to leave behind discrepancies with Spain."

He added: "I would like for [President Zapatero] to visit the United States. I am very interested not only in normalizing relations with Spain but in obtaining good and productive relations with the goal of addressing many issues and challenges that we have to confront together."

Dan
Collapse -
So?
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: More on this.

Thought you said he didn't know where Spain was or who Zapatero is, or some other such bogus nonsense. What is wrong with that statement?

Surely you are aware of the circumstances of Spain pulling its troops out of Iraq, etc.?

Or maybe you are making some other point??

Collapse -
You thought I said that?
by Dan McC / September 18, 2008 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: So?

I did not.

His answers could most generously be called evasive if we'd like to stretch definitions. But it was a hard spot he was in. Those radio interviews can be pretty tough. Not very good tap dancing if he was trying to be evasive.

He didn't mention troop pull outs. He did mention Mexico and its president, by name, and their troubles though the question was about Spain. He also mentioned Latin America and the entire region, though the question was about Spain.

He may have been talking about the troop pull outs you mention. There is no hint of that in any of his answers.

I hope, really I do, that he was trying to be evasive. He's really bad at it, at least in this instance, if he was.

If he wasn't going for evasive the interpretation of his unfocused remarks are unclear, at best.

Dan

Collapse -
Okay, you 're right...
by EdHannigan / September 18, 2008 8:59 AM PDT

the blog you linked to claimed that.

Whatever. It's been discussed adequately. He's no more confused than his opponent and a hell of a lot smarter IMHO.

No more time for such nonsense. I am sure you're have another one tomorrow.

Collapse -
(NT) Nicely sidestepped.
by Dan McC / September 18, 2008 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay, you 're right...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.