Speakeasy forum

General discussion

This is news? ...

by Bill Osler / February 5, 2008 2:13 AM PST

Study finds popular music awash in booze, drugs
U.S. popular music is awash with lyrics about drugs, alcohol and tobacco. Medical researchers have reviewed the words of the 279 top songs of 2005 to estimate just how common they are.

Their report on Monday showed a third of the songs had explicit references to substance abuse. And two-thirds of these references placed drugs, alcohol and tobacco in a positive light by associating them with sex, partying and humor, according to the team led by Dr. Brian Primack of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.

I wasn't listening to much pop music in the 50s or before, so I don't know how far back the trend goes. It seems to me that pop music has ALWAYS been full of references to booze and drugs.

For some reason thinking about all those old songs reminds me of a silly joke (more recently a song) about playing a country song backwards ...

Ya get your house back-
Ya get your dog back
Ya get your best friend Jack back
Ya get your truck back-
Ya get your hair back

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This is news? ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This is news? ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The closest I recall
by Angeline Booher / February 5, 2008 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: This is news? ...

.... about smoke is "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" 1930's

http://www.jimbowieband.com/Lyrics/smoke_gets_in_your_eyes.htm

I didn't know this about the Cole Porter song, "I Get a Kick Out of You", bcause I always heard it as "I get no kick from champagne".... 1930's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Get_a_Kick_Out_of_You

The 40's and 50's were the days of the Big Bands, like Glenn Miller, and fine vocalists.
Listening, dancing, and sing-along music. Probably dull by today's standards, Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I Get a Kick Out of You....
by Josh K / February 5, 2008 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: The closest I recall

....was often cleaned up by white singers, but the original lyrics mention cocaine.

Black music was often a lot racier than white music in those days. Cab Calloway had a big hit called "The Reefer Man" and "Minnie the Moocher" had lyrics about cocaine. The original version of "Shake, Rattle & Roll" by Big Joe Turner is very obviously about lust and oral sex. The Bill Haley version is somewhat tamer but he did leave in the line about the one-eyed cat peeping in a seafood store. Figure it out.

It was well known slang in those days that to be "in misery" or to "have the misery" meant to be in a state of sexual arousal. So when Ray Charles sang, "When you see me in misery, come on baby, see about me" he was really asking for "servicing."

Collapse -
Time was, many radio stations wouldn't play much
by drpruner / February 5, 2008 6:02 AM PST

Cole Porter. But back then

In olden days
A glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking.
Now, Heaven knows,
anything goes.

Collapse -
And "Dance With Me, Henry" was originally
by drpruner / February 5, 2008 6:13 AM PST
Roll With Me, Annie, and/or Work With Me, Annie (same music).

Which were not about handmade cigarettes or employment.
Collapse -
(NT) Or, so I've been told. :-)
by drpruner / February 5, 2008 6:14 AM PST
Collapse -
The Platters had a hit with "Smoke".
by drpruner / February 5, 2008 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: The closest I recall

Speaking of whom, much of their stuff was written by Buck Ram himself or covers of much older songs; all mild by the standards Dr. Bill started the thread with. For rock'n'rollers, they were "mostly harmless".

Collapse -
a popular song back in the 40s
by jonah jones / February 5, 2008 3:46 AM PST

"gonna smoke smoke smoke that cigarette"

Collapse -
As long as we're talking oldies
by Steven Haninger / February 5, 2008 3:59 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Best known version was by John Ritter's dad.
by drpruner / February 5, 2008 6:03 AM PST
Collapse -
well, he appeared in
by jonah jones / February 5, 2008 10:28 AM PST

prarie gunsmoke and marshal of gunsmoke, mabye you meant this Tex?

Collapse -
(NT) Ah reckon, pahdnuh.
by drpruner / February 8, 2008 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: well, he appeared in
Collapse -
And moving into the truly adult arena:
by drpruner / February 5, 2008 7:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Sex?! What about non-PC sex?!
by drpruner / February 8, 2008 5:05 AM PST

Why was The Wanderer a cool guy, but Runaround Sue was a skank?!

Note to older ones: The software wouldn't pass my original, four-letter, word that rhymes with "but". -Skank is courtesy of my middle-school students. Happy

Collapse -
would non-PC sex be
by jonah jones / February 8, 2008 11:02 AM PST

laptop dancing?

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) LOL!
by drpruner / February 8, 2008 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: would non-PC sex be
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.