Speakeasy forum

General discussion

this is my new snake rack system

by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 4:59 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: this is my new snake rack system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: this is my new snake rack system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Stunning in its simplicity! Congrats. :-)
by drpruner / February 23, 2005 5:28 AM PST
Collapse -
its fantastic
by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 5:49 AM PST

and retains heat from human heating pads so much more

Collapse -
Neat system!
by Cindi Haynes / February 23, 2005 6:30 AM PST

Do you have a group of snakeowners that get together and think up and make neat stuff like this, or is it an original design that you had someone make for you?

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
i belong to a local herp group
by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: Neat system!

my friend brett made it for me in trade for comp work

Collapse -
That's cool!
by Cindi Haynes / February 23, 2005 6:48 AM PST

Thanks for the info. Did you know these folks before you moved, or just seek them out once you got to the area? It's always great to have others to share experiences with!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
i new them when i lived in fl
by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: That's cool!

and when i moved up here im 30 mins away from several members.

Collapse -
Questions
by TONI H / February 23, 2005 7:10 AM PST

one snake to each tub? Are they really happy in containers they have difficulty seeing through or don't they care because they have crappy eyesight and use 'smell' and 'heat sensors' more than anything? Are there things like rocks, etc. inside the tubs with them? How do the human heating pads fit into the picture (are they thermal type or do they need to be plugged in?)? How do they breathe in the tubs....I see no holes?

Curious so I can send this thread link to Derek for his snakes. He has wood and glass containers he built for his two snakes and wonder if this would be an alternate system if he decided to get more (Heather will kill him or buy a trantula just to get even since Derek is terrified of spiders.)

TONI

Collapse -
easy
by Mark5019 / February 23, 2005 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: Questions

there semi opaque snakes for the most part have lousey eyesight,and lot of profesinals use simular setups.

yes theres rocks hides and newspaper on bottom for them to hide under.
and the back has a bar across the back halfway down, so i slide a heatingpad down behind bar to hold the heating pad against tubs. the way i have it setup is 1 pad long version up and down so 2 tubs get heat.

ill be getting heat tape made for reptiles soon as i can, but we used a heat sensor to measure the temps all fine

plus my ball pythons not gonna grow more than 3 ft/4 ft long and they arent very active so theres plenty of room.
the shallower tubs hold my milk snake and king snake each in sep tank as the king would eat the milk snake.

the tubs meet the top so theres no need for a cover.

and on the top of each tub theres air holes.

Collapse -
Hi Mark..is it true that
by SumerBrez / February 27, 2005 9:06 AM PST
In reply to: easy

a King snake is good to have a round?I have heard they keep poison snakes away,is this true?All i really know is when i see any kind here on the farm..i run,as i dont want to get close enough to tell one from the other and there are a lot of Black looking snakes here that are full of poison..have those copperheads too..all are bad for my chicken egg business as they love to eat those eggs!when i go to get in eggs,sometimes i see one(black snake) about 6ft long wrapped all around eggs,i close the door and run, let em have all they want lol..i am soooo afraid of them!been on farm all my life,still afraid of them..some things just dont change lol..Thats a fantastic project you have there..sure your snakes will love it.

Collapse -
well
by Mark5019 / February 27, 2005 9:20 AM PST

king snakes are immune to rattle snake venom.
and the black snakes id bet are pine i didnt see them but there mainly after the rodents.

i have apicture of my firnds copper head you should have it now.

we get calls all the time for snakes i keep mine in bedroom:)

Collapse -
Growing up, there was snake called
by Roger NC / February 28, 2005 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: well

chicken snake. I don't even know for sure what they were. My recall is mostly just dark hued snake, often around 6 foot long. You'd see them with the lumps from whole swallowed eggs in them sometimes. At least that's what I was told the lumps were as a kid, and looked the size and shape of an egg. It was a fairly slender snake, so you could see the egg shape.

First search for chicken eater snake online turned up a pine snake, but was Central and South Americas. Anyway, is not as I recall.

My childhood memory is hazy. It could have been this even if I remember just the darker ones.

But I wonder if most snakes will swallow eggs? Could have been just common black snakes.

Hey Mark, a SC snake page. I'm sure you have others, but since I stumbled on this looking for a "chicken eater snake" thought I pass it on.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
thank you rodger
by Mark5019 / February 28, 2005 7:39 AM PST

i have sent that link to my friends:)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hay Mark link photo?s of our snake collection
by kmarchal / February 23, 2005 10:27 AM PST
Collapse -
cool
by kmarchal / February 23, 2005 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: i have 3

Son has a ball, he wanted to check it out.
thanks

Collapse -
This one
by drpruner / February 26, 2005 12:53 PM PST
In reply to: i have 3
http://redtailboa.net/pp/data/500/7162772_p16133_WinCE_.jpeg
reminds me of "The Speckled Band." (Sherlock Holmes) Cancel that sleepover; I had another engagement. Happy

BTW, the elementary school nearest me has occasional Western Diamondback Rattler problems. (It's in the middle of the east mesa.) Had to shut down the campus for last couple of months of the year a couple years ago because of possibility that one or more had moved into the buildings. But hey, I'm a tough guy. Happy
Regards, Doug in New Mexico
Collapse -
Excellent set up big guy. Love to see photos of the
by Ziks511 / February 24, 2005 3:39 AM PST

residents too.

If I get my act together (we just bought a house and will be moving in May) I'll try to post photos of an incredibly skinny kid and his raccoon and chipmunks.

Rob

Collapse -
When I first read the "subject" of this post
by JP Bill / February 26, 2005 10:56 PM PST

the first thing that popped into my mind was

I wonder how many snakes he can cook on his BBQ rack at a time Wink

Collapse -
sorry i never kill a snake
by Mark5019 / February 26, 2005 11:26 PM PST

now bbq cow/pork yummy

Collapse -
Where the hell is Mark when ya need him?
by lylesg / February 26, 2005 11:43 PM PST

Back in August, 04, I rode with a buddy to Acworth, Ga., to pick up a pontoon boat he bought of a guy. The guy had a barn/shed special built to house the boat and it was located at the end of a pasture in a wooded area. My buddy and I began to inspect the condition of the boat and I bent over and walked underneath looking at the bottom side. The boat is twenty-eight feet long, so it was quite an adventure making it from one end to the other all humped over yaknow. All looked great. My buddy paid for the boat and we then set out on our return trip to Stockbridge, (just south of town.) After arriving at his place of business several of his employees walked out to look at the newly purchased boat. We were all bragging on it and I walked with another to the front of the boat to take a gander underneath. Man, laying right on top of one of the pontoons was a snake with his head dangling off the side. My heart skipped a beat on that one. That snake was under that boat while I was inspecting the underside and if I had seen that baby while I was all bent over and crawling around that trailer frame, I promise you, I wouldn?t be typing this post right now. I would have killed myself trying to get the hell out from underneath that damn boat. lol

It turns out, the snake was a Python. It was a small one and only about three feet long. One of the guys got the snake and put it in a container and planned on taking it home with him. But, the snake got out of the container before the end of the work day and no one has seen that snake since. Happy There is a small branch in the woods behind my friends business so maybe buddy found a new home. I?m not a snake fan by any stretch, but after the shock of seeing it was over with. I took a bit of a shining to that snake

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wish u had my number but was b4 i moved here
by Mark5019 / February 27, 2005 1:38 AM PST
Collapse -
Nice size rack
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / February 27, 2005 12:12 AM PST

I could use one of those to organize my stuff in the garage.

cl

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) the contaiers were ment for such
by Mark5019 / February 27, 2005 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Nice size rack
Collapse -
Can it contain ...
by Evie / February 27, 2005 12:30 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) WOW! I just thought I had a close call.
by lylesg / February 27, 2005 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: Can it contain ...
Collapse -
well no
by Mark5019 / February 27, 2005 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Can it contain ...

it wouldnt be fair to a snake of that length

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!