Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

This is my last hope for help on windows xp

by ridecool / May 21, 2006 11:58 AM PDT

I had my computer wiped out and the person that wiped it out used their windows pro cd to reinstall windows into my computer to make it run. Now I am getting a "warning your windows program may not be genuine, to buy a genuine program click on this link." It has a star that sits in the lower right hand corner of the desktop by the clock.
I bought my computer new a couple years ago and the windows program came with it but with no cd. I have my serial number for the computer and windows product key, but I cant figure out how to get a new cd using my product number with my hp registration. I'm afraid the computer is going to shut down soon if I dont figure out what to do. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This is my last hope for help on windows xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This is my last hope for help on windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ouch...
by John.Wilkinson / May 21, 2006 12:10 PM PDT

1.) The person that wiped your computer not only used his/her CD, but also his/her product key, which isn't legal.

2.) Normally you could simply change the Product Key, but that's most likely not a possibility for you. The reason is that you have an OEM version of Windows, while it sounds like the person that installed his/her copy has a retail version of XP Pro. The changing of the product key only works if you both have the same version of Windows, which isn't the case here.

3.) Modern PCs usually don't come with a Windows or Recovery CD anymore, but instead a recovery partition from which you can burn your own CD. That is the recommended first action after turning the PC on out of the box. Unfortunately you can't create a CD now since the hard drive's been reformatted.

4.) Your only option is to contact the manufacturer (HP) and order a recovery CD for your computer. They will charge you a nominal fee, plus shipping and handling.

5.) There is likely a time limit on this...Windows will most likely cease to function in less than a month, so don't delay.

6.) If you are unable to obtain a set of recovery CDs from HP, you'll have to purchase a new copy of Windows XP. It can be either retail or OEM, but it cannot be an upgrader's CD, since that requires that you have a legitimate copy of a previous version of Windows.

7.) Be sure to thank the person who did you the favor!

Good luck,
John

Collapse -
How to replace the product key
by nerdperson / May 21, 2006 8:48 PM PDT

I think you've missed quoted the warning, it's "to buy a genuine product licence ... ". The windows XP program is genuine, but the product licence key is not.

Don't worry! When you downloaded hotfix KB905474 WGA there was a 'End User Agreement' that you clicked yes to for Microsoft to check your computer for the product key and put software on your computer to monitor your system. Microsoft in this agreement promised not to shut your computer down or to retreive your personal details. "Phew!" your sigh of relief. Instead they warn that you can still use Windows but you will not receive any updates except the odd crital hotfix only. Still, this leaves you with the embarassment of those nasty notices. Help is hee.

The person reloading Windows should have used a piece of software "Belarc Advisor 7" from this site to find out your system details and your windows 2000/xp product key.

You may not have to buy a new CD. There is bit of software in this site that will replace your product key for you using your genuine product key:

http://www.download.com/Windows-98-Me-2000-XP-Product-Key-Code-Viewer-XP-Key-Changer/3000-2094_4-10349010.html?tag=lst-0-1

..and try that!

The only way to get a Windows XP cd is to go back to where you bought the computer, borrow a copy or buy one from a pc store.

Should that fail to replace the product key then you may have to do some delicate reg work on the 'oobe' (don't ask), to force Windows to open a new product key registration window.

There is one other posibility. Your licence product key maybe for Windows 98 or 2000 and may not work on XP. If you can remember your original Windows version that may help.

Collapse -
To get
by Themisive / May 22, 2006 12:04 AM PDT

The product key, look on the back of your machine, there should be a sticker there with the key on it (unless your "friend" kindly removed that as well).

As John said, to get a copy of the OEM version CD they used for your machine, contact HP IMMEDIATELY by telephone (be sure to tell them what happened), if they ask for confirmation in writing, ask if they will accept e-mail - some do - otherwise you're stumped.

Have you got any irreplaceable data stored (e-mails, Word files and such?) because if you have, either burn them to disk or copy them to a flash drive ASAP.

Whatever you do DON'T lend your machine out again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?