Speakeasy forum

General discussion

This is just too much . . .

by Coryphaeus / July 6, 2010 5:28 AM PDT

Feds sue to block Arizona illegal immigrant law

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38110909

-----------------------------------------------

The Federal Government suing a state that is trying to enforce a federal law. This is just over the top. There used to be a saying back when protestors were complaining about the government, that if you don't like the United States, just leave. I'm beginning now to understand.

It's just plain sad.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This is just too much . . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This is just too much . . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
we tried that
by James Denison / July 6, 2010 5:37 AM PDT

They wouldn't let us leave. I doubt they will now either. Only thing left is to take it over and make it work right.

Collapse -
I had a rueful laugh
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 6, 2010 5:45 AM PDT

at this;

"It is already illegal under federal law to be in the country illegally". Huh? Is that something like a double negative?

Whatever, the legal action by the Feds seems silly to me.

Mark

Collapse -
The Admin has no interest in enforcing the law...
by EdHannigan / July 6, 2010 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I had a rueful laugh

that is obvious. What they want is amnesty and more "rights" for illegals.

Message was edited by: admin to remove promo link.

Collapse -
(NT) Well, if a certain pres. hadn't set a precedent of amnesty..
by grimgraphix / July 9, 2010 12:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
The story said...
by J. Vega / July 6, 2010 6:00 AM PDT

The story said "The government contends that the Arizona law violates the supremacy clause of the Constitution, a legal theory that says federal laws override state laws. It is already illegal under federal law to be in the country illegally, but Arizona is the first state to make it a state crime and add its own punishment and enforcement tactics.".
There is a Federal law forbidding the possession of heroin. Would that mean that states are forbidden from making it a state crime and adding its own punishment and enforcement tactics?
And, does it also mean that a state can not have a law that makes it a crime to intimidate voters?

Collapse -
don't talk sense
by James Denison / July 6, 2010 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: The story said...

It might upset people.

Collapse -
RE: don't talk sense
by JP Bill / July 6, 2010 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: don't talk sense

Can America "afford"(to pay to prosecute/enforce laws) to deport illegals?

Collapse -
(NT) Irrelevant
by C1ay / July 6, 2010 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: don't talk sense
Collapse -
(NT) I'll take that as a "NO".....
by JP Bill / July 6, 2010 8:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Irrelevant
Collapse -
crossing a "constitutional line"
by Mike_Hanks / July 6, 2010 11:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just got this in my email
by Diana Forum moderator / July 9, 2010 12:03 PM PDT

We need to show more sympathy for these people.

* They travel miles in the heat.

* They risk their lives crossing a border.
* They don't get paid enough wages.

* They do jobs that others won't do or are afraid to do.

* They live in crowded conditions among a people who speak a different language.

* They rarely see their families, and they face adversity all day ~ every day..........

I'm not talking about illegal Mexicans ~ I'm talking about our troops! Doesn't it seem strange that many Democrats and Republicans are willing to lavish all kinds of social benefits on illegals, but don't support our troops, and are even threatening to defund them?

Diana

Collapse -
So, here's an idea
by James Denison / July 9, 2010 5:44 PM PDT

Since they are doing that anyway, why not have them do it HERE instead, along our southern border under invasion. Two problems solved.

Collapse -
The Fed is being ridiculous...
by grimgraphix / July 9, 2010 12:58 PM PDT

... but then again, the Fed has worked so hard these past 10 years to expand their powers over so many facets of our lives. No one should be surprised if the Fed will now fight against any State that dares to stand up for itself.

Collapse -
Reminds me of the Fed response to medical marijuana
by Diana Forum moderator / July 9, 2010 8:02 PM PDT

Seems that people that agree with the Federal law ignore states' rights and those that disagree loudly promote states' rights.

Diana

Collapse -
Good example, but I would focus on the constitutionalists...
by grimgraphix / July 9, 2010 11:17 PM PDT

... but I would focus on the constitutionalists too.

So many folks have spoke out vehemently against laws that threaten a favorite amendment... while tolerating other modifications of laws that met an immediate perceived threat, if it didn't step on their personal toes.

Rants about activist judges only apply to judges people don't agree with... while ignoring other judges that overthrow 50, 80, 100 years of legal and constitutional precedence.

I say, when it comes to immigrations laws, try enforcing the laws that are on the books. Yes... control our borders, but more importantly, penalize the people who give illegal immigrants a reason to come to this country. I don't fault anyone who wants to improve their life. I don't fault any illegal immigrants for coming to this country. I fault those who knowingly hire these illegal immigrants.

But... sadly, the genie is out of the bottle, and we have given up too many compromises to the Fed, for them not to fight against us trying to takes those powers away from them. The Fed is likely to fight for every bit of power it has gained over the people and the States. Why wouldn't they?

Collapse -
Final American Power Rests In The Governors

Anytime they decide to call a constitutional convention, the entire Federal govt is placed on notice that things will change and they will have no power in it. That time may be coming soon.

Collapse -
(NT) We the people?...........We the Governors?
by JP Bill / July 10, 2010 3:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's right, we elect the governors
by James Denison / July 10, 2010 5:38 AM PDT

They then appoint whoever goes to the constitutional convention.

Collapse -
It reminds me...
by J. Vega / July 10, 2010 3:28 AM PDT

The Arizona situation reminds me of the "sanctuary city" situation. Obama objects to Arizona making a law because they hold that immigration is a matter for the Federal government. Yet they don't file suits over sanctuary cities, although the same reasoning would seem to apply. Why one, but not the other?

Collapse -
Sounds like illegal immigration is too lucrative
by Steven Haninger / July 10, 2010 1:22 AM PDT

for the government to fix properly.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38176981/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times

Heck, fine the employer and turn the illegals loose to, maybe, do the same thing elsewhere. Then you can fine that business too. The money keeps rolling in and and the supply of illegals generating the cash is maintained.

Maybe government can start fining people who leave their doors unlocked and are robbed. Let the crooks go free to burglarize another unlocked home and fine that homeowner as well. I guess the old expression "Crime doesn't pay" isn't exactly the truth. Happy

Collapse -
Same thing with crime. Too lucrative for the govt to stop.
by James Denison / July 10, 2010 2:01 AM PDT

you get to rip off criminal enterprise while also ripping off taxpayers, so you have to keep releasing more prisoners to insure there's enough crime to justify huge police departments, court systems, district attorney offices, prison systems, parole officers, bailsbonds, and all the associated "rehabilitation" services the govt provides.

Collapse -
(NT) I somehow suspect that is not the case.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 10, 2010 5:29 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!