Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Storage forum

Alert

This is a follow up regarding a LaCie Rikiki 1Tb external HD

by Ziks511 / October 6, 2013 1:26 PM PDT
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-601699/i-am-being-plagued-by-usb-problems-relating-to-an-external/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

The above link indicates the recovery of the removable drive by chilling, which seems to work brilliantly.

Since this post I have been off loading files onto the drive.
When the drive refuses to Eject, I shut down the Computer and disconnect the drive after all power has disapated from the system (20-30 seconds). Generally I find that all the files are still there easily accessible when I next connect the External drive. On the few occasions that the Drive claims to be completely empty or to have no files, I put it in the freezer for 20 minutes (though on one occasion I got involved in t TV programme and let it sit there for at least 45 minutes that seems a bit extreme to me nor can one be sure that there isn't a small amount of moisture inside which might freeze solid and cause real problems).

After re-connecting I generally don't activate or try to access the drive for about 10 minutes.

My experience has been that since I discovered this trick, the drive has been working very well, and has indeed been less troublesome than it was after I first purchased it. It operates quite well, though not flawlessly.

I don't clearly understand the reason for this, though I have conjectures, but the main thing is that it can recover at least some non-functional drives perhaps allowing a user to recover files thought lost. It is at least a valuable path to explore.

Perhaps this should be added to the catalogue of little tricks we have all developed to persuade computers to function.

Rob
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This is a follow up regarding a LaCie Rikiki 1Tb external HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This is a follow up regarding a LaCie Rikiki 1Tb external HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The freezing method has been around a long time

and seems to work in limited cases. The only scientific explanations I can come up with are that electric current seems to flow better in cold rather than hot wiring. The other is that most matter shrinks when cold and expands when warm. These hard drives don't use lubricants that increase in viscosity when the temperature lowers. Hard drives need to accelerate to a certain RPM within a certain amount of time or the heads won't release. Perhaps a combination of better current flow and loosened up mechanical parts are the difference in behavior.

Collapse -
Thanks Steven. Strangely the more I used the fix the better
by Ziks511 / October 26, 2013 10:05 AM PDT

the drive seemed to function, and now it seems to work just about flawlessly. In my cogitations about the problem, I came up with that same list of reasons. The odd thing is that now that it runs longer, it runs warmer (never hot) but continues functioning just fine, it also Ejects or Dismounts or whatever you want to call it, whereas previously it always claimed to be in use, despite my having closed any and all programmes that might possibly be accessing it. Rather than the Pull and Pray method, I reverted to shutting down the Computer, then disconnecting the drive.

Now it seems to function just fine all the time, to the point where it is now absolutely full. I'll be buying a more traditional mainstream brand of drive next-time.

Rob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!