Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

This has happened before

by auggief / February 25, 2005 1:27 AM PST

My inactive icons on the taskbar are not hiding. It happened before and then in a couple of days it was working on it's own. Should I wait or is there something I can do? Computer is clean according to Adaware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, SypwareGuard. NAV and NFW. I have a custom machine with XP SP2, 768 MB memory etc. I mentined in another forum here that although my sounds work, the Windows Startup and Shutdown music is not playing either. I reinstalled SP2 from CD and did update but that didn't solve anything.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This has happened before
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This has happened before
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Auggie
by roddy32 / February 25, 2005 2:44 AM PST

I don't think these are exactly the same but I had 2 very similiar problems as you are experiencing. The taskbar Icon problem I had since this computer was brand new but mine would disappear or appear whenever they felt like it on a reboot whether they were supposed to be hidden or not. Tufenuf provided a link for me with several solutions. The one that worked for me was the one on this link that tells you how to disable 2 things in "administrative Tools". It's half way down the page and is labeled "Disable universal plug and play". Since I disabled those 2 things, the icons have always worked perfectly and there have been no side effects at all. That was last May or June.

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_013.html

The sound problem was another that I had. MY problem happened when I installed SP2 and it was the ONLY problem I had with SP2. The startup and shutdown sounds, the e-mail arriving, recycle bin emptying sounds were all gone but the speakers and everything else worked fine. MY solution was to open the Control Panel and double click on "sounds and audio devices". Then click on the sound tab. Right near the top, where it says "sound scheme" the dropdown box was blank. Set that as "windows default" and then click the "OK" button at the bottom of the page. Do NOT click where it says "save as" right below the dropdown box. See if those are the same things you are experiencing.

Collapse -
Uninstall sp2?
by auggief / February 25, 2005 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Auggie

Roddy, thanks for your usual quick response to my problems. I did both things but still have the problem. Although I am not sure I have the suspicion that it has to do with my trying to run sfc /scannow. You'll recall from another thread that you told me it doesn't work with SP2. That's why I reinstalled SP2 from the CD but I didn't uninstall the old. I guess my next move is to go into add/remove and uninstall SP2 and than reinstall it with the CD.

Collapse -
WHAT did I tell you
by roddy32 / February 25, 2005 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstall sp2?

doesn't work with SP2? I don't remember that Auggie unless you misunderstood me. I would NOT uninstall SP2. Like Bob says, the icon problem is a common problem and the fixes don't work for everybody. Uninstalling SP2 and reinstalling will probably NOT fix anything, plus uninstalling from add/remove programs doesn't always work. If it were me, I would leave it the way it is. You have SP2 installed successfuly, I would leave it there. I have no idea if "sfc /scannow" has anything to do with your problem or not. I have never had a reason do use that because this computer is not very old.

Collapse -
MY MISTAKE
by auggief / February 25, 2005 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: WHAT did I tell you

It was someone else not you .

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No problem Auggie, I thought I was losing it. LOL
by roddy32 / February 25, 2005 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: MY MISTAKE
Collapse -
It's a miracle
by auggief / February 25, 2005 8:09 AM PST

Roddy, you're not going to believe this. Since changing those two settings didn't do any good in Administrative Tools, I decided just now to go back in and put them back to automatic from disabled. Immediately, the icons were hidden as they should be.

Collapse -
Hopefully they will stay that way
by roddy32 / February 25, 2005 8:24 AM PST
In reply to: It's a miracle

Auggie but I wouldn't count on it. Just as that website said that I sent you to, different things seem to work for different people. I disabled them because when they were set to automatic via the default setting, the icons never worked right for me, sometimes the hidden ones were showing when the ones that I wanted to show were not and the next time I rebooted it was different. It was like that from day one when I bought the computer so I called the people that I bought it from and they had no clue. A couple of months later, I disabled those settings like the website said and the icons have worked perfect ever since and that was 8 or 9 months ago. LOL Go figure. Plain

Collapse -
"My inactive icons on the taskbar are not hiding"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 3:26 AM PST

Neither are mine. It's a relatively new feature that doesn't always work. If you feel it should be working, then call it in or if you feel it makes the PC unusable, pack it up and return it.

This is the bitter truth about Windows. Not every feature works. Someday it might.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.