Computer Help forum

Alert

This file does not have a program associated with it

by Gygex / September 5, 2011 8:59 PM PDT

Hello,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This file does not have a program associated with it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This file does not have a program associated with it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this fix.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 5, 2011 9:09 PM PDT

Is this XP? If so, try Doug Knox's fix;
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Look down the list for the "Folder association fix". it is about half way down but it is not the last entry for, "ZIP folder association fix".

This is a registry change so follow Doug Knox's instructions for using it carefully.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank you will try and get back
by Gygex / September 5, 2011 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this fix.

Hey thanks for the response mate. I will try this and get back to you, i will set up a system restore point anyway so anything i do try can be reversed easily enough. And no its not XP, it is Window 7. Not sure if that will make a huge difference or not, I never noticed big big differences in registry between Microsoft OS's.

Collapse -
I would wait.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 5, 2011 9:42 PM PDT

I am unsure about Windows 7 with this reg file so I would wait to see what others say.

Mark

Collapse -
Safe to do.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 5, 2011 9:46 PM PDT

The worst that can happen: it still doesn't work.

Kees

Collapse -
Gave it a try
by Gygex / September 5, 2011 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Safe to do.

What happened was when i double clicked on any folder nothing happened instead of giving me the error. I set a restore point just before doing anything so im restoring now and waiting for anyone else who has the reg fix for windows 7 on this particular issue.

Collapse -
If you have done it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 5, 2011 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Gave it a try

then a reboot is required to see if it works.

Changes to the registry don't usually take effect until after a reboot.

Mark

Collapse -
Balls
by Gygex / September 5, 2011 9:59 PM PDT
In reply to: If you have done it

Lol, damn i probably should've restarted then. Now my pc is hanging on shutting down after I activated systemn restore.....

Collapse -
It does nothing!
by Gygex / September 5, 2011 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Balls

When i went to system restore the computer just hangs on shutting down... so i had to turn it off and start her up again. Error msg saying that it cant restore came up, i closed it and tried to see if i could double click any folder in windows explorer and the error msg is gone like before and it just does nothing now. Still have to right click - open, to open any folder. This is quite annoying! :s

Collapse -
Just a note, post deleted
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 5, 2011 10:13 PM PDT

I have just deleted a post from this discussion.

It was a 'spam' post by some other poster, advertising some product or other that did not specifically answer your question or help with your problem.

We routinely delete spam posts.

Mark

Collapse -
I noticed
by Gygex / September 5, 2011 10:27 PM PDT

Dont worry Mark, I noticed that spam, thanks for cleaning up this thread as I'm in need of help. Its appreciated.

Collapse -
FIXED
by Gygex / September 5, 2011 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: I noticed

Hey guys i found the solution and it works like a charm straight off the bat.

Collapse -
That's great
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 6, 2011 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: FIXED

and good job in finding that. Thanks for letting us know.

I've bookmarked that web site for future use, so thanks again.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?