General discussion

This device can perform faster

I'm running XP on a machine I have had for a little over three years and I put in a new HDD (as the C drive) a few months ago. Now all my plug in devices give me the

'this device can perform faster' message. I have SP3, all the software from the disks is loaded. Any ideas where I can fix the driver problem?

thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: This device can perform faster
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: This device can perform faster
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This message pops up when you plug a USB version 2.0

device into a USB version 1.0 socket.
If you have USB 2.0 capable controller on your motherboard, perhaps you forgot to install the USB 2.0 driver, which is usually part of the motherboard drivers, when you reinstalled windows on your new C: drive. Check the relevant section of the motherboard user guide and check device manager for any yellow exclamation marks in the USB devices

- Collapse -
It's not a driver problem

It's not a driver problem, it's a hardware problem, and the only fix is to replace the motherboard in this case.

USB ports are really very poorly designed, and it's quite easy to do permanent damage to the ports just by using them. This is what has happened in your case. Either the recessed pins for USB 2.0 have become damaged, or worse, you've plugged in enough dodgy devices that they have damaged the USB controller chip. That's the other problem with USB, is there are a bunch of poorly constructed devices which people plug into their systems regularly, which eventually kill the port or controller a little at a time. It's a death by a thousand cuts.

So, long story short, you're going to have to live with this for the rest of the time you own that system. Or you could buy a new motherboard, but for a 3 year old system, it seems like you'd probably be better off just getting a new system.

CNET Forums

Forum Info