Speakeasy forum

General discussion

this democratic senator.........'stands firm'.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: this democratic senator.........'stands firm'.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: this democratic senator.........'stands firm'.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thjere are times and places.....

In reply to: this democratic senator.........'stands firm'.....

.....for pointed quips, and I don't consider a social occasion as being one of them.

Thus I fault them both,

Mr. Webb could have said, "The last I heard, he was OK. I am anxious for the troops to come home."

The President (who has said on many occasions that he wants the troops home) could have answered, " That's good. I look for the day when the troops come home, too."

But Mr. Webb did not answer the direct question. The President could have let the Webb comment lie, and just said, "Me, too."

Again, IMO, there are proper scenarios for getting in personal licks, and a reception is not one of them.

I give the President credit for acknowledging Mr. Webb's son is in Iraq. I can sympathize with the constant worry Mr. Webb must be under.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I would have said: are your daughters enjoying

In reply to: Thjere are times and places.....

their vacation in argentina, mr president.(one of many reasons I will never be elected to public office)

being the eternal cynical skeptic:

I believe the president should not have pursued mr webb for a 'friendly photo-op' politics is not an afternoon tea and the rules are different. mr webb did not use insulting language and respected the 'office' of the president. most parents that disagree with the iraq invasion do not get to express their feelings directly to the cic.

some pundits have said that this was the wrong venue. "you do not insult the host in his house" is a common response.

but it is not his house; it is OUR house. the host and the guests are equal.

Collapse -
why are you fixated on

In reply to: I would have said: are your daughters enjoying

the presidents daughters?

Collapse -
Perhaps because previous Presidents' daughters have been

In reply to: why are you fixated on

conspicuous in their service to the country, or at least a segment of it, while the Bush twins have been conspicuous as party girls, though that's just what's printed in the media which I acknowledge is not to be trusted. What do the Bush twins do for work now? I haven't heard.

Rob

Collapse -
as its a volunteer service

In reply to: Perhaps because previous Presidents' daughters have been

why do they have to do any?

Collapse -
I did think this was important....if true

In reply to: this democratic senator.........'stands firm'.....

"Webb, a leading critic of the Iraq war, said that he had avoided the receiving line and photo op with Bush, but that the president found him."

In other words, Webb tried to avoid Bush and Bush, knowing about Webb's son, could have avoided the awkward moment himself but decided to face it instead. This, to me, says plenty about a man's real character.
Collapse -
Re: says plenty about a man's real character.

In reply to: I did think this was important....if true

Since you mentioned both Bush and Webb.

Were you referring to both or just one?

If one, which one?

Collapse -
(NT) most of us relize he ment the President

In reply to: Re: says plenty about a man's real character.

Collapse -
Should be easy to interpret but here's the key words

In reply to: Re: says plenty about a man's real character.

from my own comment. "...could have avoided the awkward moment himself but decided to face it instead."

Which of the two directly faced what could have been an uncomfortable situation? Again, as in my first post, I don't know the truth for certain as to what was said. News articles aren't always...or even often...that credible IMO.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.