Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

This damn pop-up. . .

by Coryphaeus / November 20, 2006 9:04 AM PST

OpinionMart pop-up will not go away. I can't get it to stop!!

What's the deal?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This damn pop-up. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This damn pop-up. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ok, I'm gone until you get this damn thing off of here. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 20, 2006 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: This damn pop-up. . .

Nothing blocks it and no matter what you click it comes back.

Collapse -
Wayne, where does this popup appea?.
by Ray Harinec / November 20, 2006 11:22 AM PST

I read about a lot of pop-ups here in the CNET forums and never seem to have them. I have not ever done anything intentionally to block pop-ups, too complicated. I do use the Google bar which supposedly blocks pop-ups.

I still use IE6 and Outlook Express and are really baffled at all of the wild happening's that people report for their forum experiences.

Collapse -
Wayne, I don't get any pop-ups neither
by PudgyOne / November 20, 2006 6:08 PM PST

I use Mozilla Firefox

with extentions

AdBlock and AdBlock Filterset.G Updater

I don even see the ads at the top between the newsletters and the search forums. It completely removes them. Only ads I see are the ones that are from cnet.com or buy.com

Rick

Collapse -
(NT) im useing ie7 dont see that 1
by Mark5019 / November 20, 2006 6:57 PM PST
Collapse -
CNET heads you off at the pass before arrival and . . .!
by Cursorcowboy / November 20, 2006 8:23 PM PST

Plain-jane MSIEv6 and Win98FE.

"Even before you get to them."

I keep getting a security warning for "Adobe Flash Player."

Strange occurrences this a.m. is that each page going through the forums is that it flashes on and off between five and ten times before it settles down enough to be read and something clicked.

Another annoyance I see is that during the loading of some pages "ad.double-click...." lockup for quite some time in the status bar or it doesn't render what it should in a very timely manner.

Bill Gaston
Austin, TX

Collapse -
It's really annoying
by Cursorcowboy / November 22, 2006 8:23 PM PST

1. Have had to refresh the forum page each time before getting the login menu to appear the last three times the forums were accessed. Don't know why a login would be required if the CNET cookies are sitting on my computer at the time however.

2. A popup request for you to do a "survey." Not hardly.

Bill Gaston
Austin, TX

Collapse -
This is the first time . . .
by Cursorcowboy / November 23, 2006 9:20 PM PST

since the forum was upgraded about 10 days or so ago that I did not have to login. Maybe the cookies have been fixed.

Two more pop-ups:

"Bestbuy."

"Close Advertisement."

Collapse -
More noticed going haywire this a.m.
by Cursorcowboy / November 23, 2006 10:18 PM PST

The print screen copy to IfranView is the best I could do. Probably because I was trying to catch the blink that showed the full ad. There is also another ad concerning Blackberry that has a bunch of boxes blinking through it as something loads.

I also get a "CompUSA" advertisement which blinks like hell. It displays the first inch solidly from the left to about the words "Weekly Emai" and the remainder to the right continues to blink on and off. Sometimes it remains in the space for the advertisement, shows just the first four letters of "CompUSA" and the rest blinking and then other times the whole advertisement displays larger as shown in the JPG and is down over the message being read.

Collapse -
I know better...
by glenn30 / November 23, 2006 11:32 PM PST

than to make suggestions to "Cursorcowboy" but will anyway ;). I use Firefox 2.0 with the Adblock Plus add-on and get none of this. Happy

All the best!

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) LOL. Posted same comment at same time.
by Owyn / November 23, 2006 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: I know better...
Collapse -
(NT) My mother said.. "Great minds always work together" LOL ;)
by glenn30 / November 24, 2006 8:39 AM PST
Collapse -
I haven't seen any pop ups!
by PudgyOne / November 24, 2006 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: I know better...

I use Firefox 1.5.0.8

AdBlock

Adblock Filterset.G Updater

NoScript

Rick

Collapse -
I am not seeing these but...
by Owyn / November 23, 2006 11:37 PM PST

I am using Firefox 2 with Adblock Plus extension.

I have not allowed any pop-ups for CNet in FF and have blocked most of the ads via the EasyList and EasyElement subscriptions.

Will give it a quick look later today. Testing some Linux Live CDs on new hardware. The browsers in the base releases come without any blocking.

Collapse -
DirectX cure -- Thanks all.
by Cursorcowboy / November 26, 2006 11:57 PM PST

Happened to used "DXDIAG" (v9.0) to do some system checking and found that some files were flagged and a reinstall was suggested. Did so and now the forum page constant refresh is at least cured.

Bill Gaston

Collapse -
(NT) It appears to be gone.
by Coryphaeus / November 22, 2006 9:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Using the computer @ work
by PudgyOne / November 24, 2006 2:07 PM PST

I hear a pop up but...

Google toolbar blocks it for me.

Rick

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!