Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

This crazy computer will just freeze...

by Daviddude / January 16, 2006 10:29 AM PST

Hi there, there is this pc at work, I just re-loaded windows xp service pac 2 on it, and this computer will just freeze up. Seriously it can be sitting there doing nothing or I will have the video camera program turned on, and for no apparent reason, it will just freeze up, and the only way to get it to work again is to reboot it. I have tried updating the mouse, sound, video drivers - the mouse was acting kinda wierd one day - it just seemed sluggish so I updated the driver for it. The sound driver needed to be updated so I could get rid of the yellow question mark in the hardware profile and that is gone and I thought that fixed it but later that same day, it just froze again. Now there is no set time or anything like that, there are days that it will work perfectly all day and then the next day it will freeze after being on for 20 minutes or less, and there are days that it will work for 4 hours and then freeze.

Here are the specs of the machine: Intel Celeron 1.7 GHZ, 256 MB Ram, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2

thanks in advance for any ideas or help on this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: This crazy computer will just freeze...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: This crazy computer will just freeze...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmmm....
by nerdyboy1234 / January 16, 2006 10:34 AM PST

maybe a program that is causing the problem....press ctrl alt del and check for any processes that might be causing the cpu to be at 100% and causing hangs

try also to clean out the inside of the computer or leave the cover open

Collapse -
Reply to hmmm....
by Daviddude / January 16, 2006 12:27 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm....

You know I didn't think about a temperature issue. I will check the running tasks too.

Thanks, I appreciate your reply.

Collapse -
When you check the case for dust,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 7:51 PM PST
In reply to: Reply to hmmm....
Collapse -
Capacitors
by Daviddude / January 16, 2006 9:02 PM PST

Thanks, I will check those out too - as best I can with out removing the actual mother board.

thanks for your idea.

Collapse -
IMHO
by phantazy / January 16, 2006 3:43 PM PST

Not enough RAM, just what I think.

Collapse -
Have you checked EIDE cables?
by gargoyle_xlvii / January 16, 2006 11:48 PM PST

Have you checked EIDE cables?
I have a problem with mine. For no apparent reason, my cables loss contact. I just pull the cable and reseat it and its good for weeks. And like you I have to reboot.

Does your computer ever have problems detecting the harddrives on start up?

How old is the cmos battery?

Collapse -
EIDE Cables
by Daviddude / January 18, 2006 10:36 AM PST

UM, no, but I think that I just need to crack open the case and check all that out - I went into CMOS today and it lists two fans but only one was spinning and it was the power supply one and CMOS said that the powersupply temp was 100 degrees and the processor temperature was at 87 degrees. I will crack the case open and just blow the puppy out - we have this pancake air compressor thing at the office I will have the boss show me how to use it. When I do this, I will check all the cables. The battery I think is as old as the computer and it is 4-5 years old. But it still remembers the time and hard drive configuration.

Thanks for your input though, I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
event viewer
by glennlee / January 18, 2006 1:07 PM PST

Have you checked the event viewer to see what was last running each time your system froze? This could give you a clue if it is the same process each time. To get the event viewer go to control panel, administrative tools, event viewer.

Collapse -
Re Event Viewer
by Daviddude / January 18, 2006 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: event viewer

I will check the event viewer. Thanks for that info.

Happy

Collapse -
This Crazy Computer Crashing
by Daviddude / January 20, 2006 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: Re Event Viewer

Hello all, well I brought the computer home with me from work. I am going to open that puppy up and clean it out and check the iede cables and all the cables in it. I will also look for bulging capacitors...and if I find any of those, I am sure that my boss will junk the machine.

I will post the results of my search and cleaning mission probably tomorrow later in the day.

Thanks for all your ideas and responses.

D

Collapse -
The Results...
by Daviddude / January 22, 2006 1:30 AM PST

I opened up the case and took compressed air to the mother board and all the cooling fans-this thing has a cooling fan for the processor, one on the video card, one for the casing, and one in the power supply. I checked the capacitors (they all look fine). I took the compressed air and shot it into the cooling fins on the processor and opened up the power supply and blew that out as well. I then disconnected all the iede cables (one end at a time) and re-attached them to make sure that they all were seated properly. I plugged it in and turned it on without the casing so I could verify that all the fans worked (and they did); then I defragged the hard drive. I left it on all night and it didn't freeze or lock up!

Whoo Hoo - Thanks to everyone who took the time to give me ideas for this - I appreciate that.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!