Laptops forum

General discussion

Thinkpad Wireless NIC Is Disabled After Boot.

by BobHelms / August 1, 2010 3:41 PM PDT

IBM R51 Thinkpad XP-Pro SP2. Trying to activate Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG NIC. I must turn the radio ON through device manager in order to get the connection to work. This ON / Enabled status is not retained so I must turn the device on again after every boot. After I manually turn the NIC on I get the following message "This setting will only take effect if the adapter's power button has been switched on." This machine has been rebuilt and does not have "ThinkVantage" installed plus the R51 does not have a physical switch or a BIOS setting for this NIC. Surely there is a way to keep this device enabled without using the Fn + F5 key sequence. TIA for any help.
Bob Helms

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thinkpad Wireless NIC Is Disabled After Boot.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thinkpad Wireless NIC Is Disabled After Boot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to install the IBM updates . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 1, 2010 10:33 PM PDT

Specifically System Update and if possible the new ThinkVantage Toolbox. You also need to upgrade to SP3. Also, go here http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TPAD-MATRIX.html and locate the laptop and download the lates drivers for the NIC.

Collapse -
There Is A Method To The Madness.
by BobHelms / August 3, 2010 4:11 PM PDT

The answer is;

1. De-install the adapter
2. Let XP-PRO SP2 discover it.
3. Manually configure it to work with your wireless router.

If you don't manually turn the radio off it will remain on and ready to connect.

I wish I had bought this machine with the Atheros wireless NIC. IMHO they are far superior to Intel. Thanks for your reply.

Collapse -
There is also a BIOS update . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 1, 2010 10:45 PM PDT

for that laptop. (Wife owns one.) You really need to go to the IBM site and update this machine. If no joy after all the updates, you can try here http://forum.thinkpads.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.