Computer Help forum

General discussion

thinkpad vs airport express?

by dt6418 / July 16, 2010 12:03 PM PDT

I have a new thinkpad T410 and I am staying with a friend of mine who has a mac airport express wireless router. Whenever I am at her house, my computer starts crashing. It began crashing once every couple of days but became ever more frequent and by now it can be every few minutes. When I turn off the wifi in the computer, the crashing stops. When I am connected to wifi somewhere else (at another friend's house or at Starbuck's), it's ok. When I'm connected here - whether I am actually doing something on line or not- it crashes. I know it sounds crazy and maybe it is (hopefully!), but it's the only constant condition that I have observed for the problem.

I sent it in for repair and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem. They swapped out the system board and the wifi card and sent it back. I started using the computer at another friend's house and later at Starbuck's and it was fine. I brought it back here and it crashes again, now every few minutes.

The computer is maybe two months old, and the few programs I have on it are all new, so shouldn't be a compatibility problem.

Has anybody ever heard of this or experienced it before? It's kind of nuts.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: thinkpad vs airport express?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: thinkpad vs airport express?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please tellmore...
by Papa Echo / July 16, 2010 7:21 PM PDT

....What is "crashing" ? It is a word which has been used too much and has became too general... Just describe what happens without the word "crash"... What happens to yur friend's computer when youes "crash" ? Disconnected from the Internet ?

Collapse -
telling more
by dt6418 / July 17, 2010 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Please tellmore...

Crash meaning I get a blue screen message (that is mostly too fast to read but one said something about kernel stacks and another said to run a memory test) and then the computer reboots to a screen that prompts me to choose between safe mode and normal and then starts up again.

I should add that I am running windows 7 pro 64 bit. I should also add that my friend's macbook doesn't have any problem or reaction to my crashing nor does a Dell laptop that I've been using (windows XP pro)have any trouble whatsoever(!). I'm at starbucks now uploading something to my FTP site and have been on for about an hour with my thinkpad with no problem at all. Only at my friend's house does it start crashing - but only when the wifi is turned on. When I am off-line, it's fine.

Weird!! Any ideas?

Collapse -
You happen to have
by Jimmy Greystone / July 17, 2010 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: telling more

You happen to have iTunes installed on your laptop? If so, that may well be attempting to interact with some of the extra features of an Airport router and causing problems. If you're getting blue screens, I wouldn't be surprised to find out you have bad RAM. You'd think you would have noticed something else by now, and maybe you have, but wrote it off as just one of those Windows things.

I'd suggest getting a copy of memtest86+ and running that overnight. If you see any errors at all, you have bad RAM, which is probably the source of your problems.

Collapse -
no itunes
by dt6418 / July 17, 2010 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: You happen to have

I don't have itunes on it.

What would the RAM have to do with it crashing with a specific wifi router, and only that one? So far that's what *seems* to be the case.

The weird thing is that when it was repaired, one of the things they thought to do was replace the wifi card - but of course it didn't make any difference.

Today I was working on it using another wifi signal (somewhere else) and it was perfectly fine. Then I came back to where I'm staying and was using it with the wifi turned off. Also fine.

Collapse -
no itunes - addendum
by dt6418 / July 17, 2010 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: no itunes

By the way, in answer to your other remark, there were not other windows problems that I noticed. One problem though was that with my *previous* thinkpad, I was constantly being kicked off the wifi here. Remembering that was what made me think that it might have been something endemic to the wifi signal - as crazy as that sounds.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?