Laptops forum

Question

Thinkpad A30 thinks it's running on battery

by matthiashess / July 23, 2013 11:29 AM PDT

The other day I turned on my computer (after it had been off for about a week) and it would not boot up--I received a "critical low battery" error. The thing is, there was no battery in the machine. I popped in a long-expired battery to see what would happen and the computer would not even turn on.

I have ruled out the A/C adapter--I have another laptop of the same model which boots up just fine with either adapter, but this one will not boot with either.

I finally got the machine to boot up by popping in the battery at a strategic moment just before the error appears. It works fine as long as I leave it running, but Windows thinks that it is running from the battery ("Current Power Source: Batteries - Total Battery Power Remaining: Unknown") and the computer dies instantly if I remove the battery.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the battery in Device Manager to no avail. Is there anything else I can do, or do I need to make the backup laptop my primary?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thinkpad A30 thinks it's running on battery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thinkpad A30 thinks it's running on battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is this a Windows Only issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2013 12:57 AM PDT

If so I think the OS has become damaged. It's quite odd to not have a battery installed so there may be more to this story such as a laptop that is missing the battery or it's old and failed in some way.

I have found zero support for trying to work around a failed battery or failed laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
It's more of a boot-up issue
by matthiashess / July 28, 2013 10:45 AM PDT

I booted up my Linux partition (I have no trouble restarting the computer, but as soon as I put it to sleep or power off, to get it going I have to pop the battery out and in after the F1 prompt but before the error message) and checked the power settings. Linux reports that the battery is present and fully charged (with zero energy--the battery is old) and also recognizes the AC adapter, but I'm not sure which one it thinks is the current power source.

Could it be a BIOS issue?

Collapse -
It could
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2013 2:12 AM PDT

And if I suspect that I do 2 things. Reset the bios to its default and retest. If that fails I look at the maker's site for a new version.

However, if the machine is over 2 years old it's a common failure and we end up replacing the mainboard.

But one last test. Rather that pull the battery, press and hold the power button for a full 60 seconds then try to power up. It's a test.
Bob

Collapse -
No luck
by matthiashess / February 1, 2014 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: It could

Bios settings did not help, nor did holding the power button. I finally swapped hard drives and now use the other one as my primary machine.

Collapse -
Late reply but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2014 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: No luck

If swapping drives helped then is there more to this story such as someone installing an OS or cleaning the OS?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!