Laptops forum

General discussion

Thinking of switching Good idea?

by mini87 / March 12, 2004 9:17 AM PST

I am thinking of selling my laptop and buying a Apple iBook G3 or G4. Is that a good idea or not? I want a better/smaller than my HP Pavilion ze4427wm. By the way, do you know where i could sell it on the internet and not get ripped off?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thinking of switching Good idea?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thinking of switching Good idea?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Better do it soon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 9:45 AM PST

The 64-bit laptops rolled out the beginning of the month. With new 32-bit laptops with everything at 899 bucks and 64-bit laptops at the 1099 or less starting point, used laptops will take quite a beating on price.

And even new, Walmart at http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y2EB124B7 has that laptop plus some allinone HP PSC for 698. Yours is used, and may not have that printer or transferable warranty.

Move fast ...

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Better do it soon.
by mini87 / March 12, 2004 9:52 AM PST
In reply to: Better do it soon.

Suprisingly, mine did come from Wal-Mart and it did come with HP PSC 1210v printer with copier/scanner. However, mine cost $898. What do you think of the Mac Operating System version 10.3.2?

Collapse -
About the MacOS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Better do it soon.

I'm very agnostic about the OS. I use PCs with Windows 98, 98se, NT 4.0 (now retired due to security issue), Windows 2000 (great for development/office work), XP Pro, and no less than 3 flavors of Linux (Mandrake, SuSE and Knoppix.)

For my PDAs I author some Palm software and my client doesn't look like they are going to do PocketPC, so I don't own one of those.

The current MacOS is fine by me since it has a command line. And I can get a two (or more) button mouse...

The problem I have with said Mac is that it would not find much use for me. So I leave that to the one office worker that has to do Mac...

Bob

Collapse -
To Sell Laptop, Go To eBay.com
by pfeffer3 / March 12, 2004 7:10 PM PST

And set your own price.

Collapse -
Re:To Sell Laptop, Go To eBay.com
by mini87 / March 12, 2004 8:38 PM PST

I don't know because I ordered a Apple iMac 2 weeks ago and still haven't recieved it. In New Bern, we have little shops you can take it to so you can sell it.

Collapse -
What Size Screen, What OS, How Much Do You Want?
by pfeffer3 / March 12, 2004 7:13 PM PST

I may be in the market?

Collapse -
Re:What Size Screen, What OS, How Much Do You Want?
by mini87 / March 12, 2004 8:36 PM PST

I am currently looking at the Apple iBook G4 12" screen,DVd/CD-RW, 256 Megs of RAM,30GB Hard Drive, with Mac OSX Panther. It cost $1100 on apple.com and if I sell my laptop and get about $650-$750 dollars for it, I can make more money and buy the Apple.

Collapse -
Maybe not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2004 12:45 AM PST

If you can't stand the thought of losing 200 bucks on the sale of the old laptop, you'll scream if you are not familiar with the Apple treadmill. Just research how well Apple does with old machine support and you may find it to be a costly alternative.

I don't see a lot of 3 year old machines with the current OS loaded.

It's not discussed widely.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!