General discussion

Thinking of purchasing a Cnet recommended laptop - Q&A??

Hello

My Wife's laptop just died. She is a Windows user who needs the Win OS for her work (VPN and such). I'm a Mac user, so I don't have problems like these.

The laptop I was thinking of getting her is the Gateway NV7915u.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-nv7915u/4014-3121_7-33970181.html?zip=95125&x=0&y=0

It looks like a nice machine for the price.

Questions:

1) Does anyone know if Gateway is going to ship this thing loaded with all sorts of performance-robbing crap on it, or will it only have the OS?

2) If it does ship with all the extra crap, foes it come with an OS disk that will allow me to re-install a clean OS before she starts using it?

3) How is Gateway as a company? I've seen good things said about Dell and Lenovo, but they don;t have a deal like this.

Thank you in advance,

-------S

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Thinking of purchasing a Cnet recommended laptop - Q&A??
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Thinking of purchasing a Cnet recommended laptop - Q&A??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You won't like the answer.

The shipped machine will have a restore feature and no clean install option. If you want that, budget for a retail version of Windows for the clean install.

But I wonder why folk do that. It took me about 15 minutes to clean off what I didn't want and save hundreds over a clean install.

If you want a clean install, will you pay for that?
Bob

- Collapse -
Restore vs. Clean Install

Well,

My experience with Windows is that it never completely gets rid of anything. Once software is installed, it can be uninstalled, but there is always some piece of it living in the registry or some file that was not removed. These things increase the likelihood of instability and poor performance.

When I was using WinXP Pro, I'd re-install twice every year just to keep the system clean. Windows systems tend to "gunk up" faster than other operating systems.

That's why I think it is important to have 2 things easily available at all times:

1- Good recovery tools

2- A clean version of the OS for easy installation

It's all part of keeping a system clean and fast.

- Collapse -
Then you'll have to budget for the OS.

That sort of thinking makes others a little richer and some poorer. But it is your choice. Here I didn't find your statements to be true. I'm just someone at some office that writes apps and more. We used to think clean install only but now we just take the machine and spend a few minutes to clean out a few items and put it to work.

I do like your note about good recovery tools. Not a single Windows machine comes with such a feature. Apple's OS has this and a good reason to switch camps.
Bob

- Collapse -
Recovery Tools

I generally keep the latest version of Hiren's Boot CD handy. It has saved me a few times, but I have found that when a Windows drive does, it REALLY DIES.

I have never had a Mac drive die on my to the point that I could not recover data. And I have been recovering drives for friends and family (and at work) since the mid 90's.

CNET Forums

Forum Info